Here is what I just emailed another user. Let me know if anything is missing.

#1 - Get the radio removal keys for your jetta from the VW dealer. The problem is that they will probably not sell them. I was in good terms with a mechanic who gave them to me. Without these, it'll be impossible, because you have to insert/remove your deck more than once (I had to!).

#2 - Get the VW CD Changer. This once is unfortunate, but you have to bite the bullet... Unless you can program your Empeg to imitate the CD changer (via the DATA port), which is unlikely, there is no way your radio will switch to CD mode.

If you get the garage to install it ($40), stick around when the tech does it, it's a good way to explain what you're about to do and ask for the keys!

#3 - Get the cable adaptor that normally comes with the in-dash CD-player. This is a short cable that extends the T8 black connector to provide the "Illumination" terminal for the in-dash CD-Player. If you can also get an extension for the T20 connector, get it (i did not ask for that).

If you need the part #, I can probably dig it, but it may take a bit of time.

I used that to split the BATTERY POSITIVE (7) and GROUND (8) from the T8 connector. Another possibility is to get it from (16) and (18) from T20, which I did not try, but maybe it would provide better power to the Empeg, since it has probably been filtered for noise by the deck (I'm just guessing).

What I had to do was get a NOISE FILTER ($7 to $10 at an electronics store) to eliminate noise coming from the alternator. At this point, I can still hear it a bit if I pause the Empeg and raise to volume, but it's acceptable.

The noise filter is connected to my Empeg Battery Positive wire and the Empeg's Ignition wire. The Empeg does not respond to the care ignition, but I do not care. You can try to use the car ignition, but it may introduce alternator noise.

#4 - Split wires (18), (19) and (20) from T-20, and insert RCA connectors on each end. This is the most delicate part, since you have to solder it inside the Jetta, unless you can get a T-20 extension connector (?).

You should then have 4 RCA connections, each grounded with (18): 2 going to the trunk CD and 2 going to the deck.

#5 - The VW Deck deck must be ABOVE the Empeg because it makes a lot of heat.

#6 - Connect your RCA jacks to the Empeg case. I assume your power, ignition and ground are already connected to the case. I had to ground the case chasis to the Deck chasis as well, with a 10 or 12 gauge wire. It eliminated 40% of the noise (the other 40% was eliminated by the noise filter). THe remaining 20% is what I consider acceptable :-)

#6.5 - Test your setup. It should work when you select "CD" on the deck and if you select "Aux" on the Empeg, you should be able to listen to the Jetta CD player.

#7 - Fit the case in the deck. This is hard, but it should fit without cutting anything from the jetta (like the plastic holders behind the deck).

#8- Once the case and the deck are nicely in place, use a screwdriver to secure the Empeg case. This is done by bending the little metal pins on the case.

#9 - Test the setup, it should work like a charm!

#10 - Lock your car and make sure it "beeps", otherwise your deck is not inserted all the way which prevent the alarm from checking the deck.

Let me know if you have questions....
(phil
Att
kusat
dotte
moc backwards.

It's not easy, but it's worth it :-)

Attachments
72553-jetta-pins.doc (407 downloads)