The problem is that space in data centers is expensive. If you can cram 280 700MHz Pentium servers in one cabinet, that's a lot of savings in rental.

Shades of Cubix!!

I understand the economics, but I think I just wasn't doing the math adequately over 1U rack servers -- 280 is certainly a lot even as compared to 84 (42 duals) and I read with interest Drakino's following notes on low power consumption CPUs...

Okey-dokey, that's a lot of CPUs, and I'll just allow that there will be lots of clustering applications where their disclaimers don't apply. I remember reading about the rendering farm (Alphas, sorry!) that the GGI house built for Titanic -- 200+ CPUs. I suppose you could fit the whole farm in one 42U rack on these blades. OK....

Still, no hot plug and not storage-oriented, so more of a CPU-density thing...

Re: DEC. Yeah, too bad as I have some relatives in MA who have suffered the Compaq takeover. Will somebody point me to a takeover/acquisition where the acquiring company integrated the acquisition well, didn't piss off the staff of the acquisition, and really leveraged what they bought? (No, I'm not trying to make a statement about SonicBLUE!). It just seems that most acquisitions are reactive and defensive in nature and, well, ....suck.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.