Tony, I can quite believe that it is cabling/interference given the number of computing devices in this room.

I try and help debug, but since I discovered the speed of FTP kernel downloads, I've switched methods! If it is intererference/cabling then reproducing the problem when you have a slowed down version to test may or may not be easy. Yesterday I downloaded 15 or so times during coding without issues, and then it stopped downloading completely late last night, without me being aware of moving anything!

originally by genixia:

I'm reasonably close to inital Bass/Treble control. I've managed to decode the dB settings in the eq section (second byte of word2 is absolute gain - 0x40 is 0dB, and the players eq settings mapped to this byte perfectly using the equation dB=20log(gain/0x40) ).

Ok, it seems as though I'm wrong here..Just. The bass/treble levels are indeed changed, but some of my values result in lower volumes than they should.....all of the odd values. So it looks as though bit 0 of this word is actually doing something else...All of the player eq values are even. But dividing both the absolute gain and the 0dB gain by 2 still results in the equation being valid....I think..