I procrastinated between using the first and last bands or the first 2 bands or the last 2 bands. I decided to keep them together in the end. I suppose that this could be made config.ini'able..but I that wasn't on my current plans.

My original proof-of-concept patch worked with the underlying eq bands f and q values, and only adjusted the gains in the way that you suggested. I changed this to make the tone controls easier to use. There is currently a channel-lock bug where if channel-lock was set then the values aren't guarranteed to be identical, and I wanted to be sure that they were for the tone controls, or it'd sound horrid. I also wanted to make it plug and play for those who weren't comfortable with the eq interface.

There is another reason - the q factor used in tone controls is *very* low to ensure that the controls affect a broad range of frequencies in a smooth manner. It is highly unlikely that any band of you real eq bands has a q factor that is suitable for tone control, so if you were to try this then you wouldn't get the result that you desired. If you used a spectrum analyser to set your eqs and you have used all 10 bands, then is likely that your eqs have a relatively high q factor, and their effect is to either remove resonances or reinforce holes (the purpose of an eq). So because of the differences between what the eq and the tone controls are trying to achieve, it makes sense for the tone controls to use 2 bands that are together visually. I chose the last 2 purely arbitrarily.

The target 'audience' for these controls was really to help out the large number of users who couldn't or wouldn't set the eqs properly - but wanted a simple to understand and use tone control to help balance the sound, using the last 2 bands made sense here. If they had set any eqs, it was unlikely that they'd be using that many bands.

The best solution for you at the moment is to copy your original eq to a new eq, and then to modify that so that
the most effective 8 of your bands are using the first 8 eqs.

I'm not likely to make any changes to the way that this works until more people have played with it and provided feedback, or I could be playing tag with my implementations.

I'm guessing that this isn't really what you were hoping to hear, but the tone controls aren't going to be perfect for everybody until we discover how to use the DSPs inbuilt tone controls. Until then the eq band hijack is a compromise, and my aim in that is to make it as useful as possible for as many users as possible.