Hi.

This looks very good and promising. However, the package description lacks a few features.
  1. default installation directory
  2. optional installation of specific files (like language dependend(sp?) files)
  3. variable substitution in config.ini writing and file placement
  4. execution of an installed file during/after the install process
  5. uninstall information (files to delete, cleanup program to run,...)
  6. dependence upon one package out of a list of many (like a naviagtion system needs at least one of the accompanying map packages).
The default installation directory might be something like /opt/<uid>/ generally, but I think it should be possible to override that default if the programmer wants that.
Optional installation of specific files might be combined with variable substitution, and isn't really necessary, but would be a nice plus if we ever get larger volume packages (like language dependent voice output with a navigation system).
Variable substitution would be usefull in various circumstances, but I think it would be most useful in the config.ini/app.ini sections.
Command execution would be useful to do additional manipulations the installer doesn't support on its own, like making symlinks (I don't think that is possible via FTP, is it), or (in the case of deinstallation) cleanup of application databases etc.
Finally, if we can install a package, we might also want to uninstall it at a time, so we need to have info for that as well, e.g. the names of files the application generates while running, or other files that don't exist and are not created by the install, but need to be removed on uninstall.

cu,
sven