The treble seems so high whatever the crossover on the amp I can bearly make out the midrange.

Don't know if this is just a question of simply needing to properly EQ the player, or if there's something wrong with your amp setup and crossovers.

First things first. Make sure the equalizer is in two-channel mode (Left/Right locked mode with ten bands per channel). Make sure it's on a "flat" equalizer preset so that all bands are at 0db.

The player should sound very flat, with a lot of midrange and not much bass. This is because it doesn't come with its bass artificially boosted like most CD players do.

Turn up the "loudness" on the player quite a bit, say 6-10db and see if it sounds more natural. Then tweak the EQ from there.

If this isn't helping, then you might be looking at problems with the amp/speaker setup.

Do you have anything else to make sound that you can plug into the amplifier? If you're installing the empeg and the amps and the speakers all at once, you will need to narrow down whether you've just got an excessively bright set of MB quart speakers, or if there's something else going on that needs to be diagnosed.

Is this a general thing with Mp3's/RIOcar or can I do something about it?

Your description of the problem sounds like something other than the usual complaint with the car player. The usual complaint is that its bass isn't artifically boosted like most CD players. But your description makes it sound like something more serious, something maybe not even related to the car player at all.

Also, is there any software available to swap mp3 files back onto my comp?

Yes. The current beta software, version 2.0 beta 11, will do this. Please read the related entries in the FAQ at www.riocar.org. You can also use the Java software JEmplode, linked at the top of this BBS page.

If I should then where to I get the software from?

Please read through the related entries in the FAQ at www.riocar.org before going any further with upgrading the software. The 2.0 beta 11 software is nice, but it has some bugs you should know about before switching to it. The FAQ does have all the links to the latest software, both beta and otherwise.