Hi.

I just noticed that you have the chunk type 4 patch for my upgrade splitter/builder tool up on your page (nice work, and now integrated in my (still internal only) new build of the tool). I also noticed a patch to boot from /dev/hda2 instead of dev/hda5.

Regarding the latter, I have made a patch (and submitted it to Mark Lord) that allows make menuconfig/xconfig/config to see that setting and to allow switching between the two possible root partitions.

To Mark: I checked wether that patch is really needed by now, as you suggested that changing the default kernel command line might achieve the same. However, changing the default command line does not work the same as that patch, because the default command line never gets activated on the empeg (it is always overridden by a "mem={8|12|16}M" line, depending on the actual hardware).
So there is a double wish, one easier to achieve, the other more useful to me:
  1. I really would like to see a setting within hijack that allows to change the next root device from hijack menus. Like a "mount alternative root device on next boot" vs. "mount default root device on next boot" setting, either as a one time setting (only active for the next boot) or as a "from now on" kind of setting. The latter is probably easier to create.
  2. Alternatively (as a short term fix) I would appreciate prebuilt kernel binaries that boot from hda2 instead of hda5 (in addition to the existing MkI/MkII builts, of course).
Oh well. Any volunteers for the first alternative?

cu,
sven