I'm actually very interested in the answer to this question, too, as it directly affects my ability to use the RTA software to adjust my EQ.

If I wanted to program a fixed Q number into each of the empeg's default bands, what should they be set to?

My goal: To have a given band, when modified, affect only the neighboring frequencies, and only barely (if at all) affects the next band. For instance, my goal would be to set the Q so that the frequency modifications dovetail perfectly into each other, while using the default bands, like so:

From what I saw with the RTA program, this is not the case with the default "auto" q values. When the Q is automatic, it HEAVILY affects SEVERAL neighboring bands. This makes it very difficult to use the EQ in its default mode to make precise corrections.

For refrence, the default bands are nicely laid out in terms of the frequency spectrum. They go:

50 100 180 350 700 1300 2500 5000 10000 18000

The automatic Q works as follows:

0db: q=0.55
+/- 5db: q=0.98
+/- 10db: q=1.75
+/- 20db: q=5.53

It is interpolated as you adjust different levels of each band, you can see this on the screen. Dunno if the interpolation is linear between those datapoints, didn't do the math.

Interestingly, it seems to use the same Q adjustments for each band. Is that even right? Wouldn't the Q need to be different for each band, or are the default bands already spaced correctly for those auto-Q values to work properly?

Attachments
85503-q.gif (96 downloads)