In reply to:

Are you using some front-end for FLAC? Whatever extra tagging I have done, I don't lay the blame at the foot of LAME ('course, I couldn't get --id3v2-only switch to work!) or oggenc. They seem to add the tags pretty predictably.

I use a little shell script to listen for a cd insert, start ripping, do a freedb.org query, encode to flac, script tells id3lib to drop the tags on the flac file. Since inevitably, there's some incontinuity in freedb and cddbdbdb, I use EasyTag to go in and do corrections on the tags in the flac files. The MP3TagStudio seems to work okay as well, on windows, as long as you tell it to ignore the file extension. Typically I just stick with EasyTag on X-windows just cuz it's a bit faster and easier for me to use on the basic operations I usually do. It does a mass correction of any field selected, which I use often for fixing genre's, years, album names, etc.
In reply to:

Grip, as a front end, works well, but it doesn't allow me to vary artist or year within a rip of a single CD. This comes in with soundtracks, compilations, and "best of" CDs where I often change one or more of these from CDDB values to either the actual artist (instead of Various Artists) and the actual year of an original recording (instead of the compilation year). This is one place where I like Mp3 Tag Studio for "post-processing".

True, but this is really a problem I see with freedb and cddb. There needs to be some finer granularity. For single artist cd's they work fine. For mutli artist CDs, I still have to go in by hand after ripping and do a little touch up. But the benefit of Flac is that I only have to touch up once ever.
In reply to:

Maybe there's one, single do-it-all tool out there that I'm overlooking and that would eliminate any fix-up editing. If I were more *patient*, I could process soundtrack/complilation tracks one track at a time in grip, editing each track as I go, and maybe avoid this. Still, I really like having MPTS around for the day that I decide to restore all of those "The"s!

I usually rip a pile of cds into flac, then when I have some time, I'll go in and edit the tags with EasyTag in one sitting. This is a lot quicker than doing it between rips it seems. Many times, especially with Madonna CDs it seems, I don't have to do anything at all.

Greg