Howdy all - I am also new to the boards/Empeg world. I diligently read the FAQ (Tony would be proud ;^) ) and (small
world) slammed2001sc2 I think we are both dealing with scott_lee off Ebay. I am actually looking to purchase two of the units and he emailed me with your concern asking for help.

From reading this thread and info from the seller this it what I can assume - anyone - please correct me if I am wrong:

1) The units in question are in white, square Empeg boxes (blue Empeg logo printed on box) but have a Rio label pasted on them.

2) The units were built in January 2001 (0101 as already posted). This makes them early "Rio Cars" but there are conflicts in this thread whether *all* units after the Nov 2000 buy of Empeg are MK2a and at one serial number they switched.

3) Per the sellers info they have the newer Rio remote (which given the info from Tony's *wonderful* FAQ is the better one to have - Thanks Tony!

4) Although the drive size per the seller is 12Gb it seems they might actually have 20Gb drives (per the post that 01011453 was a 20Gb?

Sooooo, my amazing Sherlock sleuthing here comes down to three specific questions:

1) At what serial number/month did MK2s roll to MK2a (assuming from the FAQ and info that they did NOT restart the numbering)?

2) At what serial number/month did the they roll drive sizes 10->12->20 ?

3) At what serial number/month did they start shipping the newer Rio remote?

Confuscius say - wise Empeger that answers these questions will reveal all !!! ;^) and may have good fortune of
getting an elusive Radio tuner (my next conquest!) I can bear to pay double for the Empeg because my crazy work schedule screwed me out of noticing the fire sale earlier this year but I am blown away by folks on Ebay paying $300 for just the tuner. Of course my hat is off to all you "old" timers that paid the real price for what I hope is the finest little toy I have bought in quite awhile!

I would prefer the latest unit possible (MK2a for some of the tweaks and the Rio remote for the features).

Someone please put this to bed...

-Walt