But it's too easy to knock the home-brew people too much - don't forget that the empeg concept started out like that. These problems can, on the whole, be solved, to some degree at least.

I wasn't trying to knock the homebrew crowd. I very nearly went down that path myself as I couldn't afford the empeg. But then when the fire-sale happened, I didn't have a choice. There was absolutely no way that I could create anything so ......complete....for want of a better term, for that money. And the same is still true of the prices we are seeing today from carplayer.com.
But I was lucky, and I know it. I try to reclaim my karma with a bit of hijack hacking

I was trying to point out why the empeg is easily worth that amount, and some of the technical issues involved that would need to be addressed in any homebrew unit.

BTW, I wrote 'UPS software', not 'UPS'. My hint was that software already exists to cleanly shutdown a system based on the triggering of an existing line, and it was a pointer of where to look.