Damn... This crap is pretty complicated. The one cable is running through my wall within 5 feet of an electrical outlet.. I fished the wire through the base of the wall so I could get sound output from my TV/VCR. I think I can invest in a better shielded cable, but this cable has to go through the wall because going around the wall involves making it about 50 feet long and wrapping it through a doorway and then the door wouldn't close.

As for the one in my room, I don't know what the problem would be there. It's running kinda near a bunch of other cables, but I've tried to avoid power cords. I haven't noticed much of a difference when I move the cables around to various places, so the problem seems much worse.

I looked at a BUNCH of sites describing ground loops and it looks ridiculously complicated. All sorts of diagrams and talking about kilowats and resistors and transformers. Nowhere in any of the four or five guides I read did it actually discuss strategies for eliminating them that I could understand. Is there a "dummies" guide to properly grounding one's components? I can't believe I didn't have this problem in my old place, I mean I had the very same cables running to the very same components.

I'm rather scared by the concept that my actual apartment has something to do with it. WTF? Wouldn't that affect my other components which are connected by shorter cables, and seem to be fine? This is my first experience with something like this, well, I had it once in the apartment I lived in about five years ago but one day it just went away like poof.

AARGH This stuff should be much easier.