"...I know amp/speakers dont cost that much..."

Boy are you in for a rude awakening when you get out in the real world of stereo acquisition!

I have over $1000 in amplifiers and speakers in my car, and there is nothing there of any extraordinary quality or quantity. Well... my MB Quart RKB-100 4" co-axial speakers are pretty special I guess. $275 for the pair. Then there's a pair of PPI amplifiers, about $500 total. Then the three MB Quart midrange speakers, probably another $150, and the Orion 10" sub, that's about $150 I think. Then the crossovers, the cabling, the L-pads, fuse panels, odds and ends -- another $100 or so. Oh, don't forget installation charges if you have it professionally done.

In all my IASCA competitions, I have never competed against anybody who did not have at least twice that amount invested, and I have seen cars in competition (not in my division, fortunately) with stereo systems estimated in excess of $40,000.

So if you get by for just $500 (plus the empeg) and still end up with a really good sound -- count yourself fortunate indeed!

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"