So I have many CDs that are not normalized. Re-ripping is a very tedious process, and since a lot of my CDs got stolen a while back it is downright impossible. I tried voladj but was not happy with it since it handles songs with large volume shifts very poorly. I would much rather the Empeg do normalization on the fly for me.

Ok, so that would be hard. It would have to completely read the next song on the playlist, analyze it to find the peak volume, and create an adjustment factor, all while the previous song is still playing. It would take a lot of memory, have to be built into the player software, and of course there are time when it would be impossible. But I had another idea, and one that I think could be done via a user mod.

What if we created our own database, or somehow modified their database, to hold normalization information. The first time through the song would be played normally, but as the song is playing we would intercept the data stream and check for the high volume point. Once the song is over, we write this info to the disk and keep it around for the next time we play the song. The next time that song is played, we use that information to normalize the song as it is being played, similiar to the way voladj does now, but with better information to work on.

Doable? I realize there is in issue with the read-only hard drive. Is it a major obstacle with no way around it? What do you'all think?