If I go the route of amp and replacement speakers I wouldn't need to get a new head unit, would I?

Right -- I forgot that your original plan was an FM modulator to run the empeg. I was thinking you were replacing the original head unit with the empeg.

You can do it in stages -- first add a cheap 4-channel amp. After a while, you'll want better speakers, so then add a 10" sealed-enclosure subwoofer. Put velcro on the bottom of the box and it will stick pretty good to the carpeting in the van. After a while, you'll want even more speakers of better quality, so replace the front speakers with good quality Bostons or Quarts or Diamonds. Chances are you'll never need to replace the rear speakers, as they will be providing mostly ambient fill.

When trade in time comes, remove the amplifier and the sub, swap out the front speakers, take your empeg and give the car back.

Off Topic: My original plans for my ShoWagon called for an all a/d/s setup. a/d/s is not currently shipping any products, so we changed to Diamond Audio. The system is not built yet, but we have most of the pieces, and my stereo shop man is absolutely blown away by the build quality of the speakers, amplifiers, and crossovers. We haven't listened to them yet (next week!) but if the sound quality matches the build quality (and if they sound anywhere near as good as others have claimed -- Sally, aren't you running Diamond Audio in your MGB?) they should do the job quite well.

tanstaafl.