Aw, heck... are you serious, or are you trolling?

the fact that t[the NSA] are writing security software. I would bet you big big money that there are more backdoors in that thing than you could imagine.

I rather doubt that. There are two scenarios that could happen -- the NSA is writing the secure linux for themselves and other government departments, and/or they're writing it for public distribution. If it's the first, and not meant for public distro, then you can bet your sugar coated butt cheeks that they're not going to put any backdoors into it, but who cares if they do anyway? If it's the second, then they are required to publish the source code according to the GPL license (on a side note, you can only get the source code from the website -- no binaries are distributed that I'm aware of). Now their distro is completely free to be examined for backdoors. Also, consider who would want to use a secure distro -- security freaks, other governments, conspiracy nuts, etc. These are the types who wouldn't blindly accept that the NSA's distro is perfectly secure, and would go over the source with a fine tooth comb anyway, if only to expose an NSA backdoor -- think of how embarasing such a revelation would be for the US government. Furthermore, the SELinux project is open to participation by anyone, not just the NSA employees that started the project.

Now look at the state of current distros -- most of them, in their install from the box state, are horribly insecure. Either you can already make such a distro secure on your own, in which case you won't need the NSA version anyway, or you kludge together something that still leaves holes, or you don't have a clue about security and you leave your box gaping wide for any script kiddie that runs across your IP address. If one of the last two are the case, the NSA can still break into your box, SELinux or not, and have no need for backdoors. So then suppose you say -- oh, here's this NSA secured linux, I'll install that instead. Even if the NSA does have backdoors, you've stopped the casual hacker from rooting your box, so you're still miles better off than you were before.

if it was all that secure, you would have to affirm that you are a US citizen

Oops. I just clicked Yes, even though I'm not. And really, if you carried your backdoor theory to its logical conclusion, the NSA would encourage people in other countries to use it so they can spy on everyone.

PGP fell under the juridiction of ATF and was considered a munition.

Yes, it was considered a munition. It wasn't just PGP though, but the export of all strong crypto algorithms asd implementations that was illegal. That's no longer the case. After 9/11, there was talk of putting strong crypto back on the munitions list, but I believe that was quietly dropped when they figured out closing the barn door after the horse has left isn't going to do a world of good. Compound that with the fact that strong crypto is available freely from any number of sources who don't give rat's puckered sphincter about the US munitions export laws, and you can see that it was a pretty futile and unenforceable law anyway.

I have heard rumors that terrorists have been using [PGP].

Rumours? I'd expect them to use it -- they'd be fools not to use some crypto method. I know I sure as heck would if I were involved in that sort of activity. If you're looking for unstubstantiated rumour about what the terrorists do, try the steganography theorist camp next door -- that one's at least an interesting rumour.

Cheers,

Edit: oh, wait... there are binaries of SELinux available on sourceforge along with the source.