The problem is that the technology is still mostly stuck in the labs, or used as a test at small fires around the development area. I've seen some things on Fresh Gear recently that would be incredibly useful here, but it's nowhere to be seen. I suppose cost is still an issue, it's sad to think we can put a value on our public lands and the liveleyhood of it.

The area that needs the most research is definitly controlled burns. Areas need to be looked at, and burns set up from time to time to help mother nature. It's only a matter of time before a major dry season hits another area like this, and starts another massive wildfire.

Anyhow, the latest update:
Over 100,000 acres now and still burning, containment is at 35%. Though that number could quickly change. Yesterday they thought they had it at 60%. But small winds changed it.

Right now the cabin is safe, but is behind the roadblock now. The fire seems to be moving south at it's western edge the most, but if it moves south on the eastern edge, it could easially take a residential area, and the cabins up in the valley where ours is.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/fire/hayman/maps/perimeter3d_06_15.jpg

On that map, the cabin is north and slightly east of the Manitou Park, about a mile away.

And http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/fire/hayman/satellite.htm contains some amazing satelite photos of the mess. (So I guess some technology is in use finally :-)

I can't really stand to watch the national coverage on it anymore. While they have gotten better in their facts, they still report some false things. Initially, everyone was worried about Denver from the reports it was heading right that way. It still had a long way to go before even coming close to metro Denver, though it did have Sedalia on standby for a bit when it moved NE quickly the first few days. Of course, the national news media always called Littleton a small, rural town. It's Metro Denver, and feels the same as the rest of the city.

Ugg. I can't wait for it to be over.