I left the player in my car yesterday (thinking it was only 80 F outside and would be OK) but when I got to the car and started driving, it hit the 55C treshold almost instantly and then peaked at 60C before I pulled the unit out of the dash to cool it off in an open air environment... Well, I live in the midwest US and it's ALWAYS hot in the summer and my car interior is black - not a good combination. So I set about to just wire the fan directly last night... And it does work perfectly. The only thing is that the way I have it wired, it's always on - even when the car is off. I KNOW what I did "wrong" (wired it direct to power rather than to the keyed power.

My question is: in the circuit that is described in this thread and web page, you used that pin on the circuit board... Does that have power all the time or is it "keyed"? Meaning, in the car, does it have power only when the ignition key is on or does it always have power?

BTW... on my drive into work today with the fan going full speed (my fan is actually one from a Cyrix 150 CPU and is about 14 mm tall and don't seem to have any issues), I couldn't hear it under normal driving conditions with only a slight whine at slower speeds/RPM's... And I maxed out at 28C with an ambient temp of about 72F (Sorry for mixing my C's and F's... I can't do the conversion in my head)

Jim