Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10316 - 22/09/2000 15:17 Re: Still learning... [Re: bonzi]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Personally, I can't imagine where you get three or four hundred songs with little or no information in the filename. When downloading from Napster (yes, I do it - so?) I pretty much always go back and rename the files by hand to fit my preferred convention of Artist - Title. Applying a tag from filename editor from there would be easy.

I'd suggest you have a look into that song identification program mentioned in another thread. After you use that to identify the songs and fill in the tags, you can use Tag Studio to rename the files.

Voila! All organised.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#10317 - 22/09/2000 16:37 Re: Still learning... [Re: PaulWay]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
In reply to:

When downloading from Napster (yes, I do it - so?) I pretty much always go back and rename the files by hand to fit my preferred convention of Artist - Title

There is a fine line between lazy and efficient - I have adopted the practice of selecting only files from napster that match my naming convention (and best bit rate of course). who cares if it takes 15 seconds longer to DL if I dont have to remember to rename it later.

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#10318 - 22/09/2000 20:32 Re: Still learning... [Re: PaulWay]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
*AHEM* If you'll notice PaulWay, this thread last finished in the beginning of July. Not quite sure why it was brought up again instead of making a new thread, but hey, whatever floats their boat.

Anyway, I'm faaaar too lazy to go through and name all these songs. Plus, what I did once upon a time was take out whatever ID info was in there. This was mostly because I found that filenames were often more accurate than tags were, and because some tags were filled out and some weren't, I wanted them all to be the same and just took them all off. It was easier that way. I also wanted them to look the same as my CD collection MP3 files, which had no tags. To be honest, if the empeg hadn't come along, I would have been perfectly happy without tags on any of those files and I would have been happy with the file name convention I had, which was mainly just the name of each song.

Any way, as I've said elsewhere, now that I have my empeg, I still don't like not being able to append the current song without searching. However, I believe Rob said that they were considering this as a possibility for a later release, so no complaints here.

The main reason I want this is the same reason Tony would use the song appending in the search mode. Which is namely so that you can add songs to the current list while not interupting the song(s) you're listening to at the moment.

I find the search mode to be very well done, but there are just two things I don't like about it:
1) you can't add playlists using this method
2) it's too difficult/impossible to use while driving (especially if your display is as dark as mine )

Right now, I can usually pick out some of my stuff by touch/memory. For instance, using the faceplate, down-down-right-right-right-down-down starts my Beach Boys playlist. Then it's the same number of button presses on the remote. But if there were a way to append during the playlist browsing, all I'd have to do is hit one more button and viola! Beach Boys are added at the end of my current playlist!

I'm really looking forward to something like this.

DiGNAN

#10319 - 25/09/2000 02:40 Re: Still learning... [Re: altman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
There's currently no insert function; 1.1 has bookmarking which allows you to save & restore your current playlist and position: this is great for me when I'm doing a demo, I can save where I was up to in my big random playlist, then return to it later.

You save your position in a randomly generated playlist? What's the point of that? If you're using 1.1 you can shuffle by least recently heard, thus (a) solving your problem and (b) saving you from potentially hearing the demo tracks again in your playlist.

Peter

#10320 - 25/09/2000 02:53 Re: Still learning... [Re: peter]
Liufeng

Loc: Alaska
In reply to:

You save your position in a randomly generated playlist? What's the point of that? If you're using 1.1 you can shuffle by least recently heard, thus (a) solving your problem and (b) saving you from potentially hearing the demo tracks again in your playlist.

When are we going to see this "1.1" that all the developers are raving about for weeks and weeks.

I just can't wait for VR.
Tom

Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119

Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119, Mark 2a

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2