Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#105065 - 19/07/2002 04:17 Re: Got it!!!!!! [Re: mcomb]
tman
carpal tunnel

Can't we just hack the init and player binaries? Just change the string ext2 to ext3... It would be overwritten by a new upgrade though that's the only problem.

ideal:~/empeg$ strings player | grep ext2
ext2
/sbin/fsck.ext2

ideal:~/empeg$ strings init | grep ext2
ext2
Tried to mount /dev/hda4 as ext2 but got error %d

- Trevor

#105066 - 19/07/2002 13:01 Re: Got it!!!!!! [Re: tman]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm, I thought that ext3 was virtually identical to ext2 but with journalling capabilities...which wouldn't be used when mounted ro. Have you tried mounting the ext3 partition ro as as ext2 parition?

From http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html

ext3 filesystems may still be mounted by ext2 as long as they have been cleanly unmounted. ext2 will refuse to mount ext3 filesystems which have not been cleanly shut down, because there is live data still in the journal which ext2 does not know how to deal with.

The e2fsck application from e2fsprogs can perform journal replay, so running
e2fsck -fy /dev/hdXX on a damaged ext3 filesystem will repair it, allowing ext2 to mount it.

ext3 software will refuse to mount an ext2 filesystem - at present there must be a journal file on the filesystem.

#105067 - 19/07/2002 14:36 Re: Got it!!!!!! [Re: tman]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Can't we just hack the init and player binaries? Just change the string ext2 to ext3

I just tried that and it almost works. For some reason I am getting a stack trace when it remounts the drives after a sync. I don't get that error when I mount, unmount, or remount them by hand. I am about to leave to go camping for the weekend, I'll have more info on sunday or monday when I get some more time to work on it.

-Mike

#105068 - 19/07/2002 14:41 Re: Got it!!!!!! [Re: genixia]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Hmm, I thought that ext3 was virtually identical to ext2 but with journalling capabilities...which wouldn't be used when mounted ro. Have you tried mounting the ext3 partition ro as as ext2 parition?

Yeah, it seems to work fine to have everything mounted ro as ext2. The problem would be when the player remounts the drives to sync. At that point it looks like it just issues a remount without specifying type (i.e. something like mount /dev/hda4 /drive0 -o remount,rw) so the drive would then get mounted rw as ext2 which is what I we don't want.

-Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2