Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#105886 - 18/07/2002 12:49 Connection times out when downloading files
jaysee
new poster

I had a catastrophic data loss of my music collection on my PC, and I need to copy all the files from my Rio back to my PC hard drive. However, I keep getting Connection Timed Out messages on USB or Ethernet connections when performing this operation.

Does anyone know what the problem could be, or if I might get better results with FTP?

PC Config

Win2k SP2
40 GB 7200rpm IBM HD
Emplode 2.0 beta 11

Rio Config
10GB HD
30GB HD
2.0 beta 11 consumer image

The size of music database is about 30 GB, and I am trying to move the whole thing at once. Connection always times out after successfully transfering about 2GBs of files.

#105887 - 18/07/2002 13:07 Re: Connection times out when downloading files [Re: jaysee]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Is it possible that this is a function of the jiffies bug?

Try installing a Hijack kernel and see if the problem goes away.

#105888 - 18/07/2002 14:18 Re: Connection times out when downloading files [Re: jaysee]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Try using jEmplode, I've used it to do just what your looking for and it worked perfectly.

#105889 - 18/07/2002 14:22 Re: Connection times out when downloading files [Re: jaysee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, make sure that, if you're running 2.0 beta 11, that you're also running the latest Hijack. After that, let us know if you continue to have any trouble.

#105890 - 19/07/2002 10:20 Re: Connection times out when downloading files [Re: jaysee]
jaysee
new poster

After I installed Hijack, the problem seems to have been solved. However, after 16 hours of downloading on a USB connection, there were 600 less songs on my PC than were on my Riocar. So where did the 600 songs go? I figure:

1. Some failed to download (although I do not see any error messages)

2. There were duplicate copies of many songs on the rio, which got over written on the hard drive of the PC

I think number 2 explains it, because I imported approximately that many songs over to the rio with m3u playlists. I noticed that the Rio downloaded the files referred to in the m3u, even though the mp3s were already on the rio drive.

Question: Is there any way to download from Rio to PC and preserve the file names and directory structure that was used to upload to the Rio? The download to my PC resulted in a flat directory with new filenames. It will be a pain to reconstruct the original directory structure.

#105891 - 19/07/2002 10:23 Re: Connection times out when downloading files [Re: jaysee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Jaysee, the explanation for this discrepancy can be found in the FAQ here. Please click that link and read through it carefully to understand how this stuff works.

Also you might want to note this for future reference.

#105892 - 19/07/2002 10:29 Re: Connection times out when downloading files [Re: jaysee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Question: Is there any way to download from Rio to PC and preserve the file names and directory structure that was used to upload to the Rio?

Jemplode allows you to re-create the playlist and/or soup structure when downloading. The files don't remember what they were like on the PC in the first place, so you can't make it go back to exactly what it was like on the PC. But you can get the PC's directory structure looking like the playlist structure on the player. Note that in Jemplode when you spec a filename specification, you can insert backslashes in the spec to force a directory (if I recall correctly), or you can use the option to create full pathnames at download.

Also, once you've got everything working again, have a look at this regarding keeping your player and your PC in perfect synch.

The download to my PC resulted in a flat directory with new filenames. It will be a pain to reconstruct the original directory structure.

If you want to post-process your files based on their tags, you can use MP3 Tag Studio, which can optionally re-organize the files into directories. However, your TAGS MUST BE FILLED OUT PROPERLY for this to work.

Did you make sure your tags were perfect before sending the songs to the player? If they were, you should be OK. If they were not, you need to click here and read it carefully.