Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#107679 - 27/07/2002 17:18 Rush, Signals from London Remaster
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
A friend has aquired this Rush album from a file sharing network - has anybody heard of it before or know where I can buy it? I've searched Amazon and no sign of it there.

I saw Rush at Wembly Arena on the Signals tour in 1983 and it would be really cool to own this album. I'll admit that if it isn't available then I will just have to grab the .mp3's from my friend but I'd really rather not steal it!

I have .jpg's of the covers (which I guess I shouldn't post up here?), so, details as follows:

Album Title: Signals from London Remaster
Released by: Scarred Records

Wembley Arena, London, England
May 21 1983

Disc 1
The Spirit Of the Radio
Tom Sawyer
Freewill
Digital Man
Subdivisions
Vital Signs
The Camera Eye
Closer To The Heart
The Analog Kid
The Trees
Red Barchetta
The Weapon
New World Man

Disc 2
Limelight
Countdown
Xanadu
Temples of Syrinx
La Villa Strangiato
In The Mood
YYZ / drum solo
The Big Money*
Manhattan Project*
Middletown Dreams*
Witch Hunt*
Red Sector A*
Marathon*
The Trees*

* St Paul Civic Centre, <can't read rest>. March 25, 1986

Edit: Wrong year

#107680 - 27/07/2002 19:28 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There are dozens of concert bootlegs of Rush floating around just like that one. I've heard a few of them and I even bought one from a local record store once.

Generally, these bootlegs are made with a tape recorder in the audience, which isn't the best way to capture their live sound well. I have yet to be impressed with any of them in terms of their sound quality.

#107681 - 27/07/2002 19:32 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: AndrewT]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Well I don't see it mentioned here or here.
I suppose it could be a bootleg copy recorded at one of the concerts.

off topic: thanks to loren & Rue for posting thoes site links, both are very useful in tracking down genre and year.

#107682 - 27/07/2002 20:32 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: Phoenix42]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's definitely one of the bootlegs. Like I said, there are many of them floating around. Just because it's been pressed onto a CD with nicely printed cover art doesn't mean it's legit.

#107683 - 27/07/2002 22:51 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: tfabris]
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
In reply to:

Generally, these bootlegs are made with a tape recorder in the audience, which isn't the best way to capture their live sound well. I have yet to be impressed with any of them in terms of their sound quality.

i think that is an exaggeration - especially with all these puny little recording gadgets these days. i have countless bootlegs that are direct sound-board recordings and have impressive quality. of course, some do sound lousy but thats what boots are about.

#107684 - 28/07/2002 00:01 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I haven't yet heard a Rush bootleg that came from the sound board. I've only ever heard them as tape-recorder-in-the-audience recordings.

I would actually be interested in hearing a bootleg that came right off the sound board, if one existed.

Note that I am specifically talking about Rush bootlegs only.

#107685 - 28/07/2002 08:07 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
would actually be interested in hearing a bootleg that came right off the sound board, if one existed.

Me too.

#107686 - 28/07/2002 09:26 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: Daria]
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
well, im not a huge rush fan but some songs are very good. sometimes i just think that geddy lee's voice is strange but the music itself is great. one of my favorites is 'stick it out.' i have many nine inch nails boots thats are audience recordings and most are garbage but the newest that i do have really are close to a real release. perhaps there are databases online compliled by rush fans that weed out the baddies. thats the case with NIN.

#107687 - 28/07/2002 15:32 Re: Rush, Signals from London Remaster [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Well, I think I'd have to agree with everything you said!

I have a copy of the mp3's which I'm playing here now (Scarred stole them so I can too right? )....

Everything I've listened to so far sounds consistent with a member of the audience holding a microphone i.e. the crowd noises have a stronger presence than the music, it sounds very mono and I have yet to witness any real stereo separation (The start of The Camera Eye is my usual test for stereo). There's also (what sounds to me like) a fair degree of clipping. [Pre-post edit]: Just heard some guy cheering on the RH speaker only so at least it was recorded using a stereo mic!

All that said, I'm definately going to keep this recording and put it onto the empeg. While the quality is poor compared with official live recordings it's certainly enjoyable to listen to.

OT, but given that they haven't (AFAIK) set any UK tour dates it'll have to suffice for the time being