Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#108458 - 30/07/2002 16:15 Getting shocked by empeg
Aragon

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Well I know that subject line may look funny, but it's true. I was plugging my serial cable into the empeg tonight to load hijack 289 and was using my fingers to guide it in place. As soon as I touched the empeg's case I felt that familiar old tickle running through my fingers.

The current was flowing from the empeg case to my PC's case (via the shield on the serial cable). I snapped my voltmeter up and measured 94 volts AC between the two!! Naturally I thought this to be strange and immediately suspected the empeg power supply. Indeed, I unplugged the power supply and measured the voltage between each contact and my PC case and they both gave 94 volts AC.

I haven't confirmed that the live AC source is originating from the power supply yet, but I'm fairly certain considering I don't get the same behaviour between my PC and another PC which are both earthed.

This could explain the soft humming noise I've always had when I've got my empeg hooked up to my hifi amp and powered by the stock IEC supply. In fact, I never use the stock supply for hifi purposes anymore because of that.

Is this potentially A Bad Thing?

Thanks,
Aragon

#108459 - 30/07/2002 16:27 Re: Getting shocked by empeg [Re: Aragon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It certainly could be a faulty power supply or some kind of a ground loop problem.

You could try a different power supply and see if the problem goes away.

#108460 - 30/07/2002 16:39 Re: Getting shocked by empeg [Re: Aragon]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This is strange for the IEC supply, as it has an earth terminal. Are you sure the outlet it's plugged into has a good earth?

The 2-prong (unearthed) adaptors will cause the empeg to float at roughly half mains voltage - but with very low current flow (almost anything will earth it, but if you touch both a grounded object and the empeg you'll feel a tingle).

Actually, my Vaio (also being metal) suffers from this exact problem as it only has a 2-pin PSU. I used to get tingles from my (earthed) empeg when holding a (floating at ~100v) serial cable connected to the laptop...

Hugo

#108461 - 30/07/2002 16:43 Re: Getting shocked by empeg [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That IEC supply caused a nasty ground loop when I plugged the player into a friend's home stereo, but the 2-prong adapter did not...

#108462 - 30/07/2002 19:14 Re: Getting shocked by empeg [Re: Aragon]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Yes I have the same problem, when I touch the usb plug and the empeg at the same time I get shocked. I also have the little power supply, but Im shure that the problem is that the outlet the both are plugged into, its not grounded. I live in a historic house built in 1892 so I dont think they knew what grounds were check you outlet with one of those little tester thingies with the three neon lights to see if the outlet is properly wired, the reverseing of the hot and neutral could also cause this. Most power back ups and surge protector power strips tell you right on the front if the outlet is properly wired too.
mk2a 40gig blue no illumination....yet
hijacked

#108463 - 31/07/2002 07:04 Re: Getting shocked by empeg [Re: Aragon]
rexkp
journeyman

Check that the PC is *really* earthed. I've been shocked (literally) by how bad some power supplies are now.

Cheers,

Rex.

#108464 - 31/07/2002 16:32 Re: Getting shocked by empeg [Re: altman]
Aragon

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
It could be this cheap power strip I'm using that isn't properly earthed. Will have to experiment on some of the other wall sockets when I have a chance.

Thanks,
Aragon