Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#108854 - 06/08/2002 21:36 Re: RAID on empeg [Re: oliver]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
I realize that you have lesss than 30 GB of music but,
is the MTBF on these disks that high that you need to pay double for storage space ?

To me, twice the storage space and double the MTBF is a way better deal than half the storage space and half the MTBF...
...I mean what's a drive good for these days, a couple years?

So over the course of a couple years, it fails once.
Not such an anconvenience to me, and it's a perfect time for an upgrade.
A couple years after you bough you last drive, the prices will have come way down.

all this is moot though, you have all the space you need, I'm sorry, just my ramblings...

In your setup, you could also put a toggle switch on the back of the empeg that would toggle power to each of your drives, then if one fails, you just flip the toggle, it turns off power supply to one drive and supplies it to the other...

#108855 - 07/08/2002 04:14 Re: RAID on empeg [Re: dcosta]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Granted, the failure of a drive is not very likely, and that backing up to a hard drive (preferably a desktop) is the ideal solution. But with larger drives getting much cheaper, you have to wonder "why not?". I can think of a few possible uses for this technology, including creating a clone or a hard backup of your empeg (sync, generate mirror drives, break the mirror, physically remove a disk for transplant or storage).

I honestly don't see where a mirror would be used much in day-to-day use, except for the extremely rare instance of a physical drive failure and quick recovery from that situation. But then, I never expected to be playing PacMan or having clear illuminated buttons on the empeg either...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2