Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#109827 - 08/08/2002 23:12 LED on when the screen is on?
drakino
carpal tunnel

I helped my friend get a startup sound installed today on his empeg, and when we tested it out in the car, he showed me a rather odd glitch he can reproduce 100% of the time.

Step 1. Start the car, watch the empeg boot normally
Step 2. Pull the empeg out while the car is still running.
Step 3. Reinsert the empeg. LED stays on solid, VFD works fine and the music plays as normal.
Step 4. Shut off the car. Empeg goes into standby, LED pulses
Step 5. Start the car, empeg boots back up, or resumes, and the LED is off.

He did this twice for me, and he indicates it has happened ever since he had it installed in his car. He has always run 2.0 beta on the player, so I don't know if this would go away with 1.03. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on why it's doing this. It's a 10gb Mark 2a unit, everything else has worked fine in it.

#109828 - 09/08/2002 04:06 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: drakino]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Can this be reproduced in another car, to eliminate wiring as a possibility?

Is hijack being run with any kind of configuration for the LED blink controls?

Step 4 is interesting. If you shut off the car, the Empeg does not normally (to my knowledge) drop into standby automatically.

#109829 - 09/08/2002 08:29 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: pgrzelak]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    If you shut off the car, the Empeg does not normally (to my knowledge) drop into standby automatically.
That's the way it's supposed to work. You've got something hooked up wrong, Paul.

#109830 - 09/08/2002 08:36 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Take a look at the ``Reversed ISO Wires'' part of the Common Installation Issues FAQ, especially the ``Note''.

#109831 - 09/08/2002 10:51 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I am not certain about the wiring. This might be more from habit - I normally drop to standby before shutting down. It prevents a huge volume shock later on... I will have to test the behavoir after work...

#109832 - 10/08/2002 00:18 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, Tom, it looks like there's some kind of voltage being applied to the amp remote wire. What all is his amp remote wire connected to?

#109833 - 10/08/2002 09:00 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Speaking of amp remote wires, I've been having my battery run down if I leave my empeg in the car for a few days. This happens if I don't turn it (empeg) off manually (holding top button). Could it be that the remote amp wire is not shutting off my amp? Is there a bug for this?
If I turn the empeg off manually or take the unit out then the battery seems fine and starts the car.

#109834 - 10/08/2002 11:42 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, that sounds like incorrect wiring. When you turn off the car's ignition, the player should go into standby mode. When it goes into standby mode, the amps should shut off. Then, after it's been in standby mode for a couple of minutes (the amount of time is configurable), it should shut down completely and not drain the battery at all. So if your player is not going into standby mode, then it's likely to be a wiring problem of some kind.

#109835 - 10/08/2002 13:35 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: tfabris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
When you turn off the car's ignition, the player should go into standby mode.

It might take a bit more action than simply turning off the ignition though...
On my Polo I have to remove the key (at least partly) for the "ignition" line to go low, and I think there are some cars that require the opening of the driver door.

/Michael

#109836 - 10/08/2002 14:24 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

The empeg does go off with the ignition OK but if I press one of the buttons it will come back on without turning ignition back on, so I figured all is well wiring wise.

#109837 - 10/08/2002 14:36 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The empeg does go off with the ignition OK but if I press one of the buttons it will come back on without turning ignition back on, so I figured all is well wiring wise.

That is the correct behavior for the ignition wire on the player. I assume that it's eventually dropping out of standby mode and fully powering off after the pre-set amount of time (configurable in emplode). So most likely the player is not the reason the battery is being drained. What is your power-off time set to?

Can you check to make sure the amplifiers are shutting off when the player goes into standby mode? If not, I would suspect something wrong with the way the amp remote wire is connected.

#109838 - 11/08/2002 18:32 Re: LED on when the screen is on? [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

I'll check about the amps going off but when the empeg is not in the car this doesn't happen. When it is and just shut off by ignition only it does happen and when it's in the car and shut off by the power button before ignition shuts off it doesn't. So it would seem the empeg was causing this to happen.
As far as the amp remote wire it just goes from the empeg remote amp wire straight to the amp remote screw.
The reason I asked this ? was to see if maybe there was a track record of this or reported before and my search keywords weren't finding it. If this isn't the case I'll check further into wiring.