Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10981 - 07/07/2000 04:20 MK2 front panel LED
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

Just wondered if the other MK2 users could check their front panel LEDs. Mine seems partially obscured by the front panel. When I was re-seating the front panel, I had a peep behind the colour facia, the LED seems to have been soldered pointing slightly upwards, which aims it to the edge of the facia. Not a major problem, but it's worse when you view it from the right side, i.e. when it's mounted in the car dashboard in a RH drive vehicle.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#10982 - 07/07/2000 04:55 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: Big John]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Just wondered if the other MK2 users could check their front panel LEDs. Mine seems partially obscured by the front panel. When I was re-seating the front panel, I had a peep behind the colour facia, the LED seems to have been soldered pointing slightly upwards, which aims it to the edge of the facia. Not a major problem, but it's worse when you view it from the right side, i.e. when it's mounted in the car dashboard in a RH drive vehicle.

Same here. When Mk2 is sitting on the desk at work, the front panel masks the led almost completely out. It can be fully seen only when looking from lower left corner to the unit. Not a big problem, though.

One other thing on the front panel. The mask is inclined compared to the handle so that turning the handle causes it to take contact with the mask around the left hinge area. I could imagine this to scratch the paint a bit around that area on a long run. Has anyone else noticed this?

Overall, I really like the new front panel. As the screen looks like embedded to the fascia, it gives much more depth to the unit. Opposite to Mk1 where the screen and buttons seemed to be in same plane, especially as the fascia didn't have any border roundings.

Kim

#10983 - 07/07/2000 04:59 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: Big John]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The LED is rather obscured, especially in RHD cars. We were dissapointed with this, but it didn't seem worth holding production up over.

Rob

#10984 - 07/07/2000 06:37 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: kim]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
the front panel masks the led almost completely out

I didn't even notice there was a led on the front-panel. Not that I mind though: I'd probably have it switch off if that were an option

turning the handle causes it to take contact with the mask around the left hinge area
Yes, mine does exactly the same thing. Also on the left-hand side of the hinge. There is a minuscule dot of white on the handle, as if the paint has laready come off. When the front panel is redone, it would benefit from a bit more clearance of the handle hinges.

last thing: hinges
The hinges are clear metal, whereas the handle is charcoal black. Any chance you can colour the hinges? It would look a tiny bit better, but the Mark2 is so beautiful, it deserves it.

Henno
mark2 nr: 006

#10985 - 07/07/2000 08:13 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: Henno]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
The hinges are clear metal, whereas the handle is charcoal black.

CLEAR METAL? I knew the Empeg was state of the art, but Transparent metal?!? You guys should patent that!

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#10986 - 07/07/2000 08:49 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: Dearing]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
CLEAR METAL

Sorry about my ignorance - I meant unpainted metal. Should I've said blank metal, may be??

Henno
mark2 nr: 006

#10987 - 07/07/2000 11:42 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: Dearing]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I knew the Empeg was state of the art, but Transparent metal?!? You guys should patent that!

I think Plexicorp already has a patent on Transparent Aluminum and is working on bringing it to market as we speak. Somebody just showed up and typed its molecular structure into their computer for them- darndest thing.

#10988 - 07/07/2000 23:36 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: tfabris]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
And would you believe they typed it into a CAD modelling package running on an old Macintosh? And I thought GUIs were the state of the art. Weird, eh?

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#10989 - 08/07/2000 05:39 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: kim]
zimmy6996
new poster

Loc: USA
I have noticed the exact same thing with the left side of the handle. There is a little white a top of it where it buts up to left side of the main display overlay. It needs to be given just a shade more clearance to avoid this type of damage in the future.

I also notice the exact same thing about the LED. It is tucked away in the upper right corner, and with me being tall, and installing it in my Ford Explorer, there is no way I can see it. Actually, I really don't mind, because I always wanted to disable it on the MK.I.

Speaking about looking down to the unit, the other problem, which again, is not that big of a deal is that I kinda lose view of the upper left corner of the display. Now were not talking much, but for instance, when I am in the Now & Next view, I lost about half of the character of the NOW playing song. The reason for this is because the left side of the display overlay is smaller than the right side. The display overlay is fine in that it give a complete view of the screen, but since the screen is not flush with the overlay, if you are looking down at it, it gives you a tiny blind spot. Again, not a major complaint, just something to think about in the future.

Chris

Chris Zimmerman
[email protected]
Customer #427
Proud Owner of MK.I S/N 00028
Chris Zimmerman - #427
[email protected]
MK.I - 00028
MK.II - 060000051

#10990 - 08/07/2000 06:12 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: PaulWay]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
And would you believe they typed it into a CAD modelling package running on an old Macintosh? And I thought GUIs were the state of the art. Weird, eh?

yeah, but they had a prototype of a voice recognition mouse.

Hmm... but this is old news... about ten years I believe.

Murray 06000047

#10991 - 08/07/2000 10:24 Re: MK2 front panel LED [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
yeah, but they had a prototype of a voice recognition mouse.

Hey, don't laugh, I actually had a CEO do that at my desk one time.

Well, close to it. We were demoing our software for a corporate bigwig. He literally had never used a mouse before, because he picked it up off the desk and tried to move the pointer with the mouse in the air. When that didn't work, he tried to roll the ball with his fingertips. I actually had to show the guy how to use a mouse.

For weeks after that, my co-workers and I were saying, "Computerrr? Computerrr! Helloooo, computerrrr!"