Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11104 - 09/07/2000 09:28 Install into Jap Import Subaru Impreza
mkaye
stranger

OK, here's my question. I have a Subaru Impreza Type-R Coupe. The car was supplied with no stereo as standard although the loom (Subaru specific non ISO) and speaker wires were present. I purchased an Autoleads ISO converter in order to connect my Pioneer MEH P9000R MiniDisc head unit. I installed some JBL components up front and all sounds well. Since then my ICE install has grown, these things happen don't they! :)

My specific question is: the Pioneer is screwed directly into the Subaru 'cage' which is behind the console facia. I am not using the Pioneer supplied cage which has the bendy tabs (technical term ;) ) Is the empeg cage the correct size to fit in the remaining DIN slot (it's a double DIN facia and I want to keep my Pioneer) and can it be screwed in directly, without bending the tabs? To put it another way, does the empeg cage have the same external dimensions as a DIN head unit? If so this would be OK if not then I might struggle to make a neat install in my Scoob.

Hope this makes sense.

M

---- MKII #080000528 - 40Gb Blue

#11105 - 09/07/2000 09:46 Re: Install into Jap Import Subaru Impreza [Re: mkaye]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
and can it be screwed in directly, without bending the tabs?

I dunno about the Mark2, but my Mark1 had no screw holes: Only the bendy-tabs.

I only needed the bendy-tabs when installing into my GTI, but when I moved it to my Honda, I needed to drill four screw-holes in the sleeve to attach it to the factory radio frame.

Incidentally, for anyone doing that, I have a piece of advice: Make sure not to place your screw holes in a position that would interfere with the four drive-platform mounting screws on the sides of the Empeg case. You have been warned.

#11106 - 09/07/2000 09:47 Re: Install into Jap Import Subaru Impreza [Re: mkaye]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
I would think you would HAVE to use the Empeg cage, since its a removable unit, and to go without the cage would require unscrewing the connector in the back, and leaving that "lying loose" which would not make for comfortable removability.