Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#114851 - 05/09/2002 17:58 Re: Ethics Question [Re: CommOri]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
?????

I can only assume from that comment that you haven't paid for large portions of your music collection.

That being the case, you are not the norm here, at least amongst our regulars, so this discussion is quite relevant, I think, since we do tend to have consciences.

Edit: If I surmised incorrectly, I apologize. But please explain your post.

Edited by wfaulk (05/09/2002 18:00)

#114852 - 05/09/2002 19:05 Re: Ethics Question [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Actually Tod does own most of his music collection.

#114853 - 05/09/2002 19:05 Re: Ethics Question [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
So, to me, the concept of albums will never go away. And I hope recording artists feel the same way. Ever go back and listen to some early sixties albums? It feels more like a collection of singles than an album. And most of those one-hit-wonder albums feel the same way, somehow, regardless of the relative quality of the rest of the tracks. But maybe that's just me.

No one knows what will happen in the future, but I wouldn't be suprised if the album format changes or disapears entirely.

Just think, in the 50's it was all singles. 1 song on each side of a 45 most often for popular music. Then bands started getting artsy and compiling a larger number of songs on an album. That's the stuff I like. I love when a band strives to make a collection of songs and make them all fit just perfectly, as opposed to what you describe as "a collection of singles". Led Zeppelin, of course, made great albums.

That's why I have difficulty listening to these albums in shuffle. When I get a CD, I'll listen to pretty much nothing but that CD for at least a week. I know, it's sad. But then the collection gets so ingrained, if I hear "Going to California", and it isn't followed by "When the Levee Breaks", I have to go play it.

But I will say that I've bought albums for singles. For some reason I bought that Smashmouth album with "Walkin' on the Sun" on it. I had no idea the rest of the album was so bad.

#114854 - 05/09/2002 19:27 Re: Ethics Question [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Talk is cheap.

Here is a link to the music video I've been raving about through this thread. It unfortunately requires Quicktime, but it's also 6.5 MB, so that's the trade off. I have two files for the video, and the other is very good quality, but 30MB

Which brings me to another question: is there a codec out there that will allow me to play QT and/or RM files on Windows Media Player 6.4?

Anyway, here it is, complete with those crazy right-hand driving British people

UNKLE - Rabbit In Your Headlights

#114855 - 06/09/2002 06:00 Re: Ethics Question [Re: Dignan]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Thats a great video (I mean commercial for the band/album/song). I will have to check some more unkle music.

#114856 - 06/09/2002 08:26 Re: Ethics Question [Re: morrisdl]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, apparently the commercial wasn't successful, especially if it was banned by most of the music video channels

But yeah, they sound good. It's Thom York from Radiohead and some DJ I believe. I've never heard any of their other stuff.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2