Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1165 - 09/01/2000 07:52 MP3 Encoding Software differences?
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
I was just wondering if the quality of the MP3 is based on how good the MP3 encoder is. I know the deal with bitrates and all, so I do realize that 128 is "acceptable" and 256 is "ideal". I've seen several companies who offer MP3 encoding software and have heard good things about many of them... Fraunhofer, in particular. Is there actually a difference between the many different ones? Does anyone have any suggestions on what's the best one and/or problems with any other ones?

Thanks!

George

#1166 - 09/01/2000 11:58 Re: MP3 Encoding Software differences? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
In reply to:

Is there actually a difference between the many different ones?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: The quality of any given MP3 stream is entirely dependent upon the encoder used to produce it. The reason for this is that the encoding process involves analyzing the original audio data with a human psychoacoustic model and using the data from this to decide what parts of the frequency spectrum are most critical to encode most accurately. The psychoacoustic model and related algorithms are not part of the MPEG audio standard, so encoders have a lot of flexibility and vary in their ability to deliver good quality at any given bitrate. Keep in mind that "quality" is also highly subjective.

I don't have any specific advice for encoders, but I can tell you there are really only a few different varieties, most based either on the ISO reference encoder or the Fraunhofer encoder. The Fraunhofer encoders are generally considered to be superior at encoding with lower bitrates. I'm sure others can offer much more specific advice.

For some related information, see this post.

A big stumbling block for authors of encoders is the fact that many of the algorithms used in the psychoacoustic model are patented. This is one reason there aren't very many different encoders (based on independent code, not, for example, licensed from Fraunhofer.)

-v

#1167 - 09/01/2000 13:46 Re: MP3 Encoding Software differences? [Re: Verement]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Of course, which encoder is "best" is slightly subjective, and certain encoders will work better for different styles of music and at different bitrates. For instance, there's one encoder out there (I can't remember its name) which claims that it's better at high-bitrate encoding (say, 190kbps and above) than the others. It author says that the other encoders are optimized for lower bitrates, and that they don't bother to squeeze out the extra quality that is available at high bitrates. Unfortunately, I don't remember the encoder's name. If anyone remembers it, please post a link in this thread.

About five months ago, I read an article online. It was at a web-zine written for audiophiles. It had the most in-depth comparison of encoder software that I'd ever seen. The author of the article did a very cool double-blind scientific evaluation of all the popular encoders. It involved sending test CDs to a bunch of audiophiles with very good ears. Each CD had three tracks for each test snippet: Original, encoded, and the original again. The listener would then "rate" the last two as compared to the first one. The "double blind" part was that no one knew what order the last two came in until after the experiment was over. Having the original track repeated was the "control".

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the webzine that ran the article, so I can't look up the link. Again, if anyone remembers the article, please post a link here.

#1168 - 10/01/2000 07:52 Re: MP3 Encoding Software differences? [Re: tfabris]
Jim H
new poster

Loc: UK
I think it's BladeEnc which claims to be better at high rates than other (frauenhoffer based) encoders.

I like BladeEnc but I've not done any serious back to back comparisons so it might be really crap in some cases!

I've always felt that the ripper is pretty important, and I'm using Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de - I think), which seems to be unique in verifying the data read from the CD, plus it interfaces with BladeEnc very easily :-)

Disclaimer: I've no connection with either of the above, I just use them!

Cheers

Jim.