Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#118843 - 01/10/2002 13:39 Multiple line level output buffer
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I have a wiring config that I would like to set up which requires the use of some sort of split in the line level outputs from the head unit to two seperate amps. Up to now, the advice I have had (some highly respected) has been to use a splitter cable and just twin it. This to me does nt sound right - although the inputs to the amps should be high impedance if they are well designed, they will be in parallel when twinned and who knows what could happen?

I would prefer to install a unity gain buffer amp of some sort at the output to the HU and have two buffered, line level, four channel outputs (LR/FR). Anyone know of an off-the-shelf component, available in Europe, that can do this?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#118844 - 02/10/2002 04:30 Re: Multiple line level output buffer [Re: schofiel]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Splitters should be just fine; the empeg drives down to 100 ohms, this should be "stiff" enough as a current source compared to the >5k (more likely >100k) input resistance of the amps.

I don't know of any buffer amps for in-car audio - you might have more luck finding an external EQ box.

Hugo

#118845 - 02/10/2002 08:45 Re: Multiple line level output buffer [Re: schofiel]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
You could build one pretty easily I imagine. If unity gain is all you are after, you could adapt one of the buffer circuits used in these headphone amps. They tend to drive low impedance loads well.

Stu