Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#119658 - 07/10/2002 14:06 Porsche antenna question?
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Ok, bad or no reception from my tuner. Checked the FAQ and found "Some cars require that you apply power to a built-in antenna signal amplifier. The tuner module extension cable has a blue wire for this purpose. Check your wiring diagrams to locate the correct wire in your car's wiring for it.". Does anyone know if the factory Porsche antenna is one of these? ('96 993 with windshield antenna)

#119659 - 07/10/2002 14:37 Re: Porsche antenna question? [Re: bodybag]
krburrell
new poster

Loc: So Cal
I installed my Empeg in a '96 993 also and I don't remember doing anything special with the antenna. I can check when I get home.

I can tell you that the factory antenna does require power!!!

#119660 - 07/10/2002 14:44 Re: Porsche antenna question? [Re: krburrell]
bodybag
addict

Do you know where the power lead is for the antenna? There is a wire attached to the antenna cable but it looks like a ground wire (small and Black). Thanks for checking it out for me. Let me know what you find.

#119661 - 07/10/2002 14:50 Re: Porsche antenna question? [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Don't depend on the colors to decide the function of the wire.

On my old Volkswagen, the black wire attached to the antenna cable was in fact the one that powered the Fuba antenna amplifier. However, I know nothing about Porsche wiring, so I cannot answer that question. Ask around some Porsche discussion groups.

#119662 - 07/10/2002 14:56 Re: Porsche antenna question? [Re: bodybag]
krburrell
new poster

Loc: So Cal
Here is part the radio install instructions from car audio innovations that specializes in installing audio equipment in Porsches (email me if you want more info):

"A very small gauge white or black wire, (usually coiled around antenna lead) is the power antenna or antenna booster wire, this needs to receive 12 volts positive when the radio is on, you can usually connect this to a blue wire on your new radio"

#119663 - 07/10/2002 14:57 Re: Porsche antenna question? [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

I asked around on Rennlist and those guys don't know [censored]. Most Porsche guys couldn't tell the difference between the muffler and the steering wheel. Mostly pretty boys who baby thier cars and take them to the dealer for service. Pansies

#119664 - 07/10/2002 15:37 Re: Porsche antenna question? [Re: krburrell]
bodybag
addict

See, this is just what I meant. I go to the Porsche board and nobody knows what's going on, meanwhile back at the Empeg board, my question is being answered by somebody who has a clue. The depth of knowledge on this board is amazing.

BTW, I should have known to contact Car Audio Innovations myself (I'm an idiot), I have one of thier subwoofer systems in my car already. Great guys for Porsche stereo stuff.