Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#121782 - 18/10/2002 11:18 MapsOnUs Data and ActiveState Python2.2-Questions
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I have downloaded and installed GPS App .9 and ActiveState Python 2.2. This was no problem. My question concerns the data from MapsOnUs and how you get Python to work with it. I understand how to get the data from Mapsonus but that is where I hit a roadblock. In the Raw Route Data Page, what portion of this page should I use? Do I delete the none data stuff from the top? I have read in the GPS App threads something about saving this page as an HTML. Once again what portions of this page should I import into Python. My version of Python in its present state does not understand the HTML data that I am trying to run. Do I simply open the HTML page in Python and hit "Run". Could someone give us a run down on the correct procedure to do this stuff? Any help from you way more intellegent that average people would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

#121783 - 18/10/2002 11:27 Re: MapsOnUs Data and ActiveState Python2.2-Questions [Re: Neutrino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
At the bottom of the page is a link "Raw Route Description".

Right-click on that link and say "Save Target As".

Save it as a file name that represents the directions with an HTM extension. For example "Trip to Morro Bay.htm".

Then go to a DOS prompt in that directory and type...

parse_mapsonus.py "Trip to Morro Bay.htm"

It should save a file called "Trip to Morro Bay" with no file extension.

I've written a batch file wrapper to all of this which also FTP's the resulting file to the empeg and cleans up after itself.

#121784 - 18/10/2002 11:27 Re: MapsOnUs Data and ActiveState Python2.2-Questi [Re: Neutrino]
jaharkes
enthusiast

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not sure about windows, but on my machine I simply run,

python parse_mapsonus.py raw_route.html
40GB - serial #40104051 gpsapp

#121785 - 18/10/2002 11:30 Re: MapsOnUs Data and ActiveState Python2.2-Questions [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Note that if you are not in the same directory as either of those files (the .PY or the .HTM), then you have to include the full path name to those files when you invoke the command. For instance, for me, it might be:

c:\progra~1\directions\parse_mapsonus.py "c:\temp\test map.htm"

The resulting data file will end up in whatever the current directory is.

#121786 - 18/10/2002 11:57 Re: MapsOnUs Data and ActiveState Python2.2-Questions [Re: tfabris]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Thank You both for the speedy reply. I'm on the Road! Yahoo!