Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#12470 - 11/08/2000 15:09 Re: VW Bugs [Re: teemcbee]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Eclipses are very problem prone. People drive them very hard. Mitsubishi built them for the purpose of highway passing, and occasional turbo spool up. People end up buying them and stomping and spooling the turbos constantly. The poor stock turbo will eventually wear down and die unless it's well taken care of. Which many people don't. I don't know about build quality of other turbos though...

Calvin

#12471 - 11/08/2000 15:11 Re: VW Bugs [Re: Laura]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Octane boost isn't worth much. If it says it'll boost the octane 5 points, it means it'll boost your 97 Octane to between 97.3 to 97.7 something like that. Better to get race gas... hmm if the nova can use leaded go for aviation gas.

Calvin

#12472 - 11/08/2000 15:13 Re: VW Bugs [Re: Dignan]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I was dissapointed they didn't make an AWD spyder.

The standard Infiniti sound system is such utter garbage. It's a 1V system with high levels of noise to signal. I ripped that crap out the second day after I bought the car. I couldn't stand to hear the music mutilated...

Calvin

#12473 - 11/08/2000 15:17 Re: VW Bugs [Re: jbauer]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
In reply to:

Another short break in Boulder Creek (gas, if needed), then up Highway 9 (east) to Skyline, where we assemble at the little rest area there for a final meeting.

It was a ride (in my Miata) over this bit of road (a part of my commute, actually) that prompted Hugo to say:

In reply to:

Seeing as I've been frightened by your driving in the miata, I think I'd just pass out if you were driving the M coupe over those mountain roads... ;)

Though I don't think you'd have any problem in the coupe; one of my coworkers described a similar ride in the coupe as "relaxing."

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, I would have put blasting through roundabouts on the way back to London in the same category as that run over 9. Hugo and I had the same problem, though, it's very disconcerting being in what we're programmed to believe is the driver's seat, with no steering wheel to hang on to. ;)

(Jon, have we met at the track? I'm one of Aaron's instructors...white '90 w/ blue stripes)

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39

Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#12474 - 11/08/2000 15:19 Re: VW Bugs [Re: jbauer]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Well that goes to show how safe the Bug is, the structure is intact the guy probably walked out alive. I wouldn't want to do the same in an Eclipse or a Miata. Here are some pictures of Eclipses that have gotten into and out of "spirited drives" :-)

I have one here of the remains of a Spyder as well, oops, but I drive a Spyder so I'll not post it out of respect for my car ;-)

Calvin

#12475 - 11/08/2000 15:24 Re: VW Bugs [Re: n6mod]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
n6mod wrote:

(Jon, have we met at the track? I'm one of Aaron's instructors...white '90 w/ blue stripes)

No, I haven't gone to the track, but I did meet Aaron on that ride. Nice guy. Want to do a track day, but I have a slight problem. Can't put a roll bar in my Miata since I have a subwoofer (JL Audio Stealthbox) on the rear tray. Don't feel safe on a track without a roll bar...

- Jon

#12476 - 11/08/2000 17:27 Re: VW Bugs [Re: jbauer]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I know the problem. I've ultimately come to the conclusion that a good sub installation and a rollbar are mutually exclusive in that car. So the Miata has a marginal sub installation (JL Microsub in the trunk) and a roll bar. The Coupe has a good sub (a pair of JL 8W3's in a custom cabinet) because it doesn't need a rollbar.

I've compensated for the marginal stereo in the Miata with a nice, loud exhaust.

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#12477 - 12/08/2000 04:13 Re: VW Bugs [Re: teemcbee]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Definitely mexico (well, lots of stuff is stamped mexico, it's possible the final assembly happens in Germany but I seriously doubt it).

It's expensive because they get away with it - most places in the world are more expensive than the US when it comes to cars (and gas, oil, servicing...). You guys just get a quantity dicount ;)

Hugo

#12478 - 12/08/2000 06:25 Re: VW Bugs [Re: eternalsun]
Amarth
journeyman

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
> The Golf = Ordinary, Basically A Bug? ......

I happen to own a Volkswagen Beetle (bug) 1300cc -71 model and the new VW Golf V6 -00 model.. (the GTI VR6 no longer exists in production line, GTI does though, V6 has replaced the VR6.. there was some differences I fail to remember at this point) and I must say I cannot find ANY similarities with them. Considering I've whacked the beetle to pieces and back... I trust this is a bit different with new beetle vs. old beetle, there are a lot of them in Finland, I like them even though at first I thought it a horrible rape of the old beetle...but the similarities are slowly sticking out.

To my view the modern day VW Golf is very much close to Audi A3/S3 as Audi and Volkswagen just 'happen' to walk hand in hand these days (same parts used in both cars as they're built up in same factories). What I'm surprised of is that they're actually giving the Golf credits over the little Audis.. with the exception of transmission and brakes. The Audi brand itself makes a nice "bounce" in price when comparing the relative cars VW-Audi wise, for example V6 vs. S3 price difference is (with the additions that I bought) about 17k USD (here in Finland). Oh well, the S3 owners have the 0.3 seconds over me when the streetlights turn green.. maybe I need to get a turbo or two... :) :)

Antti 'Amarth' Luostarinen
#14229 iwishihaditalready
try BatMUD - telnet bat.org

#12479 - 12/08/2000 06:37 Re: VW Bugs [Re: Amarth]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
In reply to:

Octane boost isn't worth much. If it says it'll boost the octane 5 points, it means it'll boost your 97 Octane to between 97.3 to 97.7 something like that. Better to get race gas... hmm if the nova can use leaded go for aviation gas.

They do sell some True Blue at the gas station across from the track and I know some good leaded gas is available at the track but I haven't tried either yet since they are pretty expensive. Maybe next week I will try 4 or 5 gallons in the tank to see if it helps the times any better. I did knock off 3/10 of a second this week. Still have some tweaking to do :)

Laura

I live to launch.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#12480 - 13/08/2000 09:50 Re: VW Bugs [Re: altman]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
I'm shocked that people will except this as normal??

If my new car (especially if it's from a manufacturer with a good reputation for reliability) was using oil to the point that the oil light came on, I'd return it straight away...

My motorbike however doesn't use any oil at all, and I bet the engine is under more stress than the one in the new bugs... =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4