Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#124548 - 03/11/2002 18:18 MP3 Browse while listening, song queue???
BasmantarD
new poster

Loc: Florida, USofA
~ My first MP3 player was the Neo 35 and was a great MP3 player for the newbie. It was economical and i had an old hard drive laying around that i could use to first get it up and running. total out the door with a remote screen was about $325 including shipping. Now that i have the MKIIa, its like night and day. My MKIIa's 60GB HDD is far superior to my Neo 35's WesternDigital 20GB HDD. Plus it looks alot better. I received many coments on my Neo and have only received more on my MKIIa (Even the mechanic at the Honda dealership was impressed and wanted one! My dad not knowing where i bought it (eBay), sent him to a local stereo shop, won't he be dissappointed.)
~ With the Neo 35 there were two features that I loved, the song scroll since it was in directory format, and the song queue.
~ My question is this, is there any way to browse the songs that i currently have in directory format (not the play lists) WHILE a song is currently playing and then also have the ability to queue or choose that song to play next (instead of the swap next song feature which is totally random) If these questions are totally retarded please let me know what I am doing wrong.

#124549 - 03/11/2002 18:25 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: BasmantarD]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
What do you mean by "directory format"?

I keep a playlist in the format of the directories I imported from, but I think I'm not reading you right.

#124550 - 03/11/2002 18:27 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: BasmantarD]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
...then also have the ability to queue or choose that song to play next

That part you can do.

Once you find the song you want to play next (whether through the Search function or just digging down through playlists) press-and-hold the bottom button on the front panel. This will bring up a menu with options to enqueue, insert, and a couple of other things. Just highlight "insert" and press the bottom button and that song will be next up.

tanstaafl.

#124551 - 03/11/2002 18:29 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: Daria]
BasmantarD
new poster

Basically its kind of like windows directory browsing. You have the MP3 song title that is playing, you press the knob in on the Neo 35 and all the songs in a particular directory are listed, you hit the back button and all the directories on the root are listed

#124552 - 03/11/2002 18:33 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: tanstaafl.]
BasmantarD
new poster

Great, I did not know that. So it can't be done with the remote? I guess that is why I couldn't figure it out

#124553 - 03/11/2002 18:35 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: BasmantarD]
BasmantarD
new poster

Now if I could just figure out how to EQ this bastage correctly for my Bose system instead of bland old FLAT.....

#124554 - 03/11/2002 18:46 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: BasmantarD]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

So it can't be done with the remote?

Yes, it can be done with the remote.

There are several search options available with the remote (Search by PIN, search by title, search by Genre, etc.) including one that says "Insert by title". Use that search method (once you set it the first time, it will stay that way by default until you change it to something else) and when you have the song you want highlighted (it doesn't highlight, actually, it just displays in the middle of the screen in a larger font) then press-and-hold the Menu/OK button on the remote and that song will be inserted as the next song in the currently running playlist.

tanstaafl.

#124555 - 03/11/2002 18:49 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: tanstaafl.]
BasmantarD
new poster

Very sexy, but is there a SPACE on the remote? I can find all the letters but dont know where the space button is.

#124556 - 03/11/2002 19:26 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: BasmantarD]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The point is, for an empeg, you uploaded a bunch of songs, perhaps from a directory, but not "a directory". Hence my question.

#124557 - 03/11/2002 19:50 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: BasmantarD]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

is there a SPACE on the remote? I can find all the letters but dont know where the space button is.

This was confusing to me too. Tony Fabris just about had to beat me over the head to make me understand it, and then I felt pretty silly because it makes so much sense.

You don't need space, punctuation, hyphen, underscore, numbers, etc.

You just type on the remote using whatever buttons you do have and the software is smart enough (fuzzy search logic) to find what you are looking for. For example, Suppose you wanted to find a song you had titled "Hey, 6 Times is Too Many". (I just made that up -- I don't think there really is such a song. ) You would go into Search mode on the remote, then press the "4" ("ghi") button; then press the "6" ("def") button, then the "9" ("wxy") button, then the "8" ("tuv") button, then the "4" ("ghi") button, etc. Note that we skipped the comma, the spaces, and the numeral 6. Each time you press another button in the search, you narrow down the number of songs that can meet the search criteria. If you had no other songs in the player whose titles started with the letters "G", "H", or "I", then the first button press all by itself would have found your song.

Read this post a couple of times, then experiment with it, and it will become clear, and you will be amazed at the search capabilities of the remote and the player software.

tanstaafl.

#124558 - 03/11/2002 21:38 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: BasmantarD]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
BasmantarD, although your questions were already answered in this thread, please note that they are also in the main Empeg FAQ (linked from the top of this page). The relevant entries are here, here, and here.

#124559 - 04/11/2002 18:14 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: tanstaafl.]
papinist

Loc: Italy
I thought the numbers should be inserted...
Are you sure of that?

#124560 - 04/11/2002 18:34 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: papinist]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I thought the numbers should be inserted...
Are you sure of that?

Pretty sure... since the "letter" keys share real estate with the "number" keys, I think that the fuzzy search is only looking at the letters. That is, when you press the number "4" key on the remote, it is only considering "g", "h", and "i", and is not looking for a "4".

I could easily be mistaken about this, however.

tanstaafl.

#124561 - 04/11/2002 20:30 Re: MP3 Browse while listening, song queue??? [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That is, when you press the number "4" key on the remote, it is only considering "g", "h", and "i", and is not looking for a "4".

Incorrect. When you press 4, it considers 4, g, h, and i. Just tested this.