Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#126096 - 15/11/2002 02:25 Re: Barbecue [Re: Dignan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
what does that "outgrabe" part mean?

"Well," says Humpty on page 272, "'outgribing' is something between bellowing and whistling, with a kind of sneeze in the middle."

Peter

#126097 - 15/11/2002 06:32 Re: Barbecue [Re: peter]
tman
carpal tunnel

Argh! I hate you all! Now you're started the conversation on barbeque, I really want one!

- Trevor

#126098 - 15/11/2002 06:51 Re: Barbecue [Re: ashmoore]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
"Of course they all claim to be the "best in the world", but that is usually a pretty small world view! "

Actually Rudy's here in Texas claims to be the "wurst" in the world. Not quite true, of course, and I think they have some of the best BBQ sauce available.

Anyway, around here BBQ is something you almost always go out for, though I do grill a lot of steaks and burgers at home (definitely NOT considered BBQ). Around here (San Antonio and Houston), brisket is really the main thing, though in other areas if it isn't pork, it isn't considered BBQ.

#126099 - 15/11/2002 07:12 Re: Barbecue [Re: JeffS]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Actually Rudy's here in Texas claims to be the "wurst" in the world. Not quite true, of course, and I think they have some of the best BBQ sauce available.

Technically Rudy's claim Worst in Texas. There's gotta be worse elsewhere. It's allright but sometimes the turkey breast tastes funky to me. There's one close to my work I go to occasionally. I think their "sause" has way too much black pepper, but it is sweet, which I like sometimes, but I'd love to find a place in Austin with a good vinegar based sauce.

#126100 - 15/11/2002 07:51 Re: Barbecue [Re: wfaulk]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
Curiously enough, some friends and I were just having this discussion yesterday.

It seems most people I know didn't know BBQ of a type other than their own even existed before coming up here to school. I didn't, certainly not to the extent that I've found local BBQ is different here in North Carolina.

Texas BBQ is predominantly beef brisket (Oh how I miss Goode Co. or Luling City Market or just good old hill country BBQ...). The sause is thicker and tomato based (there is some vinegar too, but not like here.) The taste is sort of like the kind of "BBQ sause" you'd get at any fast food place, except obviously (generally) on a much higher level.

When I came to Durham, I was really surprised at what ya'll call BBQ. It's shread pork drenched in vinegar! I didn't like the vinegar based stuff at all (at least at first.) It has no consistancy! It is kinda growing on me... a little. Bullock's in Durham, NC has some pretty decent NC style BBQ.

Now my girlfriend is from South Carolina and they have an all together different type. (Still pulled pork.) Apparently (across SC) BBQ sause is mustard based. Takes a little getting used to.

Finally I've also been exposed to a Memphis style of BBQ that is similar to Texas style, but a little drier, and generally not quite as good.

I was pretty surprised at what is other people's BBQ-- it's pretty interesting.

Anyone know where the name came from? I was one told the name comes from a ranch in texas that was named the "bar" BQ. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

John

#126101 - 15/11/2002 08:45 Re: Barbecue [Re: johnmcd3]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Etymology of the word barbeque:

http://www.cbbqa.com/history/secondary/Hale_Book03.html

-Zeke

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2