Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#126102 - 14/11/2002 14:48 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions
bossdj
new poster

I purchased a empeg MK2 from ebay this week and should be receiving it some time next week.

I currently own a subaru outback 2002 ll bean edt and am interested in installing the empeg into this car. I read through the post about the 2000 outback install and am a little concerned. first off i dont want to patch into any system and i pretty much dont want to do the work myself, id rather pay to have it done seeing as it seems somewhat difficult. I also dont want to ruin any part of the console if at all possible.

My stock system is a 2 DIN cd/radio/weather band unit. connected via 16-pin (??) to the unit is a 6 disc in dash unit (3rd DIN). I have a set of tweaters up front with normal speakers in the front and back doors.

My final install id like to retain the stock cd/radio/wb unit and have the empeg too. So it seems i would just replace the 6 disc unit with the empeg.

From my research it looks like the best solution is to purchase an amp (which one i have no clue, im pretty clueless when it comes to car audio) and a switch and connect the stock unit and empeg unit up to the switch then to the amp. i want the car stereo to always stay on but when i turn the empeg off have the sound of the car unit come through.

Is this possible? are there any easier ways to do it? possible ways i can do? id prefer to have the best sound possible. If i purchased an amp and switch from a local dealer would they be able to install the whole package and make everything work by the time i picked it up?

Thanks from someone who has no clue what they are doing

#126103 - 14/11/2002 14:56 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions [Re: bossdj]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
That does all sound possible. If you're keeping the factory HU, you might just want to plug the empeg into it instead of the CD changer. There are a couple companies out there that make adaptors for stock stereos, so perhaps they make one for yours. A seperate amp is actually better sound quality wise, so if that appeals to you, go for it. Many people spend close to what they'd need to spend on an amp trying to get a decent AUX in on their factory head unit.

If you go with the amp, you'll need to get a line level converter for your factory HU, and then one of "the rca switches" that switch between two inputs depending on which amp remote line is high. A competent installer should be able to do this all for you, so just shop around untill you find one who gets what you're trying to do, and why you're trying to do it. Many of them don't deal with RCA switches, so you might want to find that page (crutchfield sells them) and print it out for them.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Matthew

#126104 - 14/11/2002 16:24 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions [Re: matthew_k]
bossdj
new poster

Any idea what i should search for to try and get this adapter for my stock HU you speak of? Any URLs??

Thanks again
Kevin

#126105 - 14/11/2002 16:27 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions [Re: bossdj]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think there might be some links in the FAQ.

Also check the Installation Pictures gallery at Riocar.org, there's some scooby installs there, as well as search for past threads here in this section of the BBS.

#126106 - 14/11/2002 17:39 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I looked at some of the usual places for AUX input adapters (Blitzsafe, rcainput.com) and none of them seem to have any interfaces for Subaru. Your other options are to get a line level converter to convert your speaker-level outputs on your factory stereo to pre-amp output levels. With the resulting outputs you can then either:

1. Plug them into the AUX input on the empeg
2. Get a switch like the Sony XA-39 or the PIE MPSS-4 to automatically switch between the units

Either way you will need a 4 or 5 channel amp to push your speakers.

#126107 - 14/11/2002 18:09 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions [Re: JBjorgen]
bossdj
new poster

You guys have suggestions on amps or store locations? I live in western washington, seattle.

i dont just want to walk into the store with no idea what i want or need.

#126108 - 14/11/2002 20:52 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions [Re: bossdj]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Amps are a tricky thing to shop for if you are unfamiliar with them, because they sell cheap ones that described very similarly to the decent name-brand ones, but are horrible quality. I've only ever bought one amp (a Rockford Fosgate which I'm very happy with), so I'm not really qualified to give advice, but hopefully someone here with a little more knowlege can give you some basic advice.

I will venture this though...you might try Crutchfield, as their sales people seem to be knowlegeable and they don't even stock the cheaper crappier amps.

The lineout Converter for your existing head unit that I mentioned above can be found here (pic) or you can get one from Crutchfield or any decent local car stereo installer.

#126109 - 14/11/2002 22:41 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggest [Re: bossdj]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I've got a 2000 Subaru Outback (you were probably looking at my posts and pictures) which is basically the same car/dash as yours, and I think that your major obstacle in getting the Empeg in is just fitting it in the dash. If you pay them enough money, an installer can hook you up stereo/amp/speaker wise but I would be very cautious about who you take it to for the physical installation. Some dash trim and stereo mouting assembly modification HAS to be done to fit the sucker in there.

I would call your dealership's parts department, and get a quote on the trim part (including the cup holder) that surrounds the stereo. I was quoted $100 for the faux wood trim piece, so I decided that it was worth it to cut it up for my install, knowing that I can always buy a new piece if I decide to sell the car.

The stereo assembly CAN be bent to accept the Empeg sled. I did it with the Empeg in the middle DIN slot, although I don't know what kind of luck you'll have with getting it in the 3rd slot. The 3rd slot seems like it would be awfully low for the Empeg to sit in. Sometimes I wish that I could have installed mine in the 1st slot so I don't have to look down so far to see the display.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. I wish they made an RCA aux-in adapter for the Subaru deck (it's probably a Panasonic radio) but I have not been able to find one. That was my first choice for install, but there is no such thing, I guess. I have the pinouts for the CD changer plug on the back of my stereo if you would like, I was almost thinking about experimenting with mine to see if I could fabricate one.

Edited by cushman (14/11/2002 22:44)

#126110 - 15/11/2002 03:56 Re: 2002 Subaru outback L.L Bean Install - Suggestions [Re: bossdj]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
Another option is to hide the cd-changer and swap the speaker lines from the changer to the empeg leaving all other wires to the changer. This would maintain the ability of the headunit to accept auxillary input (this is required for GM's, not sure about Suburus) The only thing you may need is an inexpensive linelevel adaptor. If interested see:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=install&Number=119128&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0