Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#127555 - 26/11/2002 09:39 Re: Busted for Dancing [Re: ithoughti]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
The government does restrict the first two of your examples. Smoking is restricted in certain areas and for certain ages, along with a Surgeon Generals label that basically calls you stupid for touching the things. Alcohol is in the same way restricted by age, the timing of purchase, and the consumption while doing other things(driving specifically). Your third example however I find simply wonderful. Skydiving is moderately dangerous, however the danger decreases with appropriate training and of course the use of a parachute. Driving is again moderately dangerous, however with training and a seatbelt it becomes at least less dangerous. I doubt that law explicitly states that all skydivers must use a parachute because its obvious, however too many people didn't understand that using a seatbelt should be just as obvious.

Secondly, the government spends far more cleaning up after alcohol and tobacco than it ever makes on taxing them. Of course this also heavily leans on the "they" argument. Who exactly is making all this money? The "government" is a wonderfully faceless organization on which to blame this deliciously evil conspiracy, but it falls apart at the requirement of names of people that would even somewhat prosper from the budgetary theory being espoused here.

#127556 - 26/11/2002 14:11 Re: Busted for Dancing [Re: revlmwest]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    The "government" is a wonderfully faceless organization on which to blame this deliciously evil conspiracy, but it falls apart at the requirement of names of people that would even somewhat prosper from the budgetary theory being espoused here.
The military-industrial complex, of course.

(I think.)

#127557 - 26/11/2002 16:56 Re: Busted for Dancing [Re: revlmwest]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I think that the frequencies at which these activities are performed is a big factor too. I'd imagine that if 50% of the population were skydiving twice daily then there would be lots more legal regulation regarding skydiving.

#127558 - 27/11/2002 23:47 Re: Busted for Dancing [Re: revlmwest]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I hope you understand that the skydiving thing was meant in jest...

I'm just saying that life involves many risks, everyday. Most people are stupid and I agree, need to be protected from themselves. However, I would rather that they were not, and maybe we could get rid of a few.

#127559 - 02/12/2002 01:25 Re: Busted for Dancing [Re: ithoughti]
Banacek
journeyman

I was pulled over for speeding on the New Jersey Turnpike last year

Well that explains it. New Jersey is notorious for pulling people over for the money. It's how a lot of local townships get their income. It's fantastic. The township I drive through to work has a cop in EVERY parking lot on the highway. I wish I was over exaggerating. And if they pull you over, it's guaranteed that you're getting a ticket. If you're lucky, you can talk them into a seat belt ticket so you don't get the points on your license. They also profile a lot. They pull over my friend at least once a month. And they don't even give him a reason. Just pulled over, check him out, then drive away. I need to get out of here...

#127560 - 02/12/2002 11:29 Re: Busted for Dancing [Re: Banacek]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I was pulled over for speeding on the New Jersey Turnpike last year

I doubt they pulled anyone over for speeding on the NJTP yesterday... I decided to get off and take the far more scenic I287, which was reasonably empty of traffic.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2