Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#132272 - 27/12/2002 23:19 Rca's Un-plgged = Empeg Power OFF?
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Well i wqas doing an empeg install today, and i was hookin it up, and no music was comming out of it, so i scratched my head, tinkered with it a bit, and looked at the empeg again and it was off. I thought i had broke it, or killed the fuse. So i plug everything back in, and its on again. I thought how weird. I unplug the rcas and bam the player is off again. Is this normal? Whenever I unplug the rcas the player is off. Also if i plug in rcas that are not hooked up to the amp it dosnt work as well. Anyone have an ideas? THANKS!

Justin

#132273 - 28/12/2002 01:06 Re: Rca's Un-plgged = Empeg Power OFF? [Re: justinlarsen]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
That sounds wrong. I'd guess you've managed to ground your player through the RCA cables.

#132274 - 28/12/2002 01:33 Re: Rca's Un-plgged = Empeg Power OFF? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yup, ground wire problem. The RCA cables are providing the ground instead of the ground wire. Check it. I'd imagine you're getting some ground loop noise, too.

#132275 - 28/12/2002 01:43 Re: Rca's Un-plgged = Empeg Power OFF? [Re: justinlarsen]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Definately sounds as if your ground isn't working - the shields of the RCAs provide a connection to the ground inside the amp.

* Check the ground wire in the car (hook a small 12V bulb between +12V and the ground wire, or measure the resistance between the wire and metal part of the chassis, maybe a seat belt bolt)
* Check that you matched up the grounds of the car and empeg harness correct
* Check the attachment of the ground wire into the sled docking contact
* and last if it still doesn't work, open up the player and check the ground wire inside the player into the player docking contact

#132276 - 28/12/2002 14:41 Re: Rca's Un-plgged = Empeg Power OFF? [Re: mtempsch]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
think this might explain on why im getting no sound either? Anyways im going to regound the player today and see if that dose the trick which im sure it will. Seems like the amp is gounded ok then. since the power light was on and what not.