Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1324 - 21/01/2000 01:20 No updates on the Empeg site...
marco1
new poster

Hi,

Please update Empeg website every now and then, last update on the front page says 7th October 1999 which does not exactly give impression of an active company...

//marco, stil considering

#1325 - 21/01/2000 02:59 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: marco1]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
yes, and please showe us some pictures of the new mark II
pleas, pleas, pleas, pleas, pleas, pleas, pleas

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->Ethernet)(USB->COM 1-8)(USB->You name it)

#1326 - 21/01/2000 06:31 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: marco1]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We're not going out of our way to bring in more business for the Car player right now, we already have far too many people sitting in the queue getting impatient.

When the new player starts to ship in March our new web site will come online, a HUGE improvement over the current one.

Rob

#1327 - 21/01/2000 07:01 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: rob]
marco1
new poster

No need for new web site, just some info occasionally so _potential_ customers know that you are still in business...

It's the same problem with many companies, after initial excitement is gone the "shiny new website" is left alone until company changes name ;) You are probably vey busy at the Empeg all the time but some new pictures on Empeg installs and stuff like that would be just enough.

All the best,
//marco

#1328 - 24/01/2000 14:15 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: marco1]
Orion
new poster

I must agree with marco. I don't want to see a huge change in the site, but for being the Unofficial BBS, this is where I hear about the Mark II first. then to get more info, I look to the web site - nothing!

I understand the need to work on your product, but please don't forget how most of the world has found you.

--Orion

#1329 - 24/01/2000 14:29 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: marco1]
rob
carpal tunnel

The new web site has been designed to significantly speed up the update procedures - we can literally drag and drop news releases, software updates and so forth, into the backend database.

In the meantime, as I said before, we're satisfied to keep a relatively low profile until the Mark 2 player starts to ship (at which time we will STILL have several thousand registrations to work through before accepting new orders).

I guess it's nice to be popular :-)

Rob

#1330 - 24/01/2000 15:06 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

That new site sounds cool, Rob.

I'd like to chime in here with my two pounds, though:

If you let the current site just "sit there" for the next few months, you run the risk of losing the current base of enthusiasts to competing products. I understand the need to keep a low profile until you're ready to meet demand, but don't keep such a low profile that you get buried. There's a balance between lying low and disappearing.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#1331 - 24/01/2000 22:06 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Rob --

I agree with marcol and tfabris. If it is a question of time and allocating resources.... you have an incredibly versatile and powerful resource at your disposal that is virtually untapped: the participants on the empeg unoffical bbs.

I'll bet that if you were to drop a hint (like in answer to this post) you would have literally dozens of eager and competent volunteers who would be happy to take on the task of updating your website. They'd do the work, you'd look it over and approve it, and voila! An innovative and up-to-the-minute website with almost no time having to be spent on your part.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#1332 - 25/01/2000 00:01 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Don't forget that we send monthly newsletters to all registered clients.

Rob

#1333 - 25/01/2000 00:46 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: rob]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Rob, at the very least you should post the new newsletter on the homepage (or remove old ones), and/or announce something like 'Watch for great news in March', just to show the company is alive.

Impatiently awaiting March.....

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#1334 - 25/01/2000 00:50 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: tanstaafl.]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
They'd do the work, you'd look it over and approve it, and voila! An innovative and up-to-the-minute website with almost no time having to be spent on your part.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

Is this a free lunch or what? :)

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#1335 - 25/01/2000 11:52 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: Orion]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
i think that you have enough Evanglists like me pushing the EMPEG that u can wait for a update to the site.

Everyone knows the EMPEG is real. The demand is there among the thousands that signed up to buy one for real. I think even the price isn't a issue at this point. People know the expensaive possibilities with the unit and they are willing to pay the price. I paid it without blinking myself. I am completely committed to digital music and a lesser extent MP3. (dont get hung up in the format! WMA is here , and other formats will follow with better compression). being a digital music consultant and writing abbout digital music , i had to possess the EMPEG , to practice what I preach. The Empeg blows away any other devices I had reviews or sampled so far. (now if i could only squeeze an interview out of these guys)

The point is... im completely into devices that can be upgraded. There is no reason for any expensive device not to have some sort of flash memory or easyily upgradable components. I paid a lot for a mid range DVD player which is a mistake. It cant be upgraded unless it back. It should have a usb or serial port for some sort of upgrade path or control...

Welp! Ill be waiting in the wings for the Mark ][ although I am happy with the Mark 1. It does everything i dreamed about and more. Just trying to suss out making some 3rd party apps forrit!

test

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#1336 - 26/01/2000 03:27 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: rob]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
How do i become a registered client? The last newsletter i received was #12 IIRC, and that was much more than a month ago, and the 11 newsletters before that certainly didn't arrive on a regular monthly basis. I think saying you send out newsletters from time to time is a little more acurate than monthly.

#1337 - 26/01/2000 22:38 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: danthep]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Anyone who keeps up with this BBS should be well aware of the time, effort and tremendous energy the EMPEG team has put forth into this technological advancement. So............. in my opinion,I find an outdated website to be exusable.

PATIENCE is a virtue!

Mk2 #105 60g

#1338 - 04/02/2000 02:59 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: rob]
teemcbee
addict

I´ve a low registration number (#948) but I´ve not ordered the empeg right now (I´ve missed the email I think. I´m a bit angry about that!) Now that I found out my reg-nr (with your help) I made a defered purchase (defered until the Mk II is ready to be shipped).
How is my order treatened? Do I have to wait until all other registration numbers got their empeg-players or am I prefered because of my low reg# which could have ordered already 1/2 a year ago?

#1339 - 04/02/2000 04:13 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: teemcbee]
rob
carpal tunnel

If people don't respond to the invitation to order, or if it bounces, we don't follow up because we have so many other people waiting. We'll do a follow up later in the year after the queue has been cleared.

Deferred orders will be given priority when the next batch it ready.

Rob

#1340 - 04/02/2000 11:25 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: rob]
Orion
new poster

But what of those who have not received a conformation letter? I registered via the Web site, found no conf letter. Tried again, nada. Sent e-mail to Empeg sales regarding the fact, they said (not in these exact words): “Please be patient, we have a lot of registrations to go through.”

I understand that, but this was about two weeks ago. Do I keep waiting and hope that I was submitted? I like the Empeg product, idea, and concept. I would like to support it, show it off and drool over one of my very own. But at times it is a little frustrating by the fact that I can’t guess when I may own an Empeg. I have no registration number to work from.

I'm not trying to be an ass, just a little frustrated.

--Orion

--Orion

#1341 - 04/02/2000 17:48 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: Orion]
rob
carpal tunnel

Registrations are processed into a queue automatically upon receipt. We never lose a registration, so there's no need to worry that you'll lose your place.

The delay is with the response system which generates the confirmation. Since upgrading to Office 2000 the MS Outlook to Access link utility has totally broken, and I haven't had time to fix up an alternative. I had a look at it today, and with a bit of luck I hope to pursuade it to play ball on Monday.

In any case I think it likely that the registration page will be dropped from the new site - we'll publish shipping estimates and set the system up to only accept orders when we are in a position to fill them. Of course the existing queue will be honoured ahead of new orders.

Rob

PS. Linux zealots - yes, MS Office has it's flaws, but I spent two years writing financial analysis software in Access and I'm stuck in my ways.

#1342 - 04/02/2000 23:57 Re: No updates on the Empeg site... [Re: rob]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Use the best tools for the job, and the tools you know how to use best :-)

I hope you've got decent incoming file scanning with using MS Outlook though.

David