Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#135860 - 18/01/2003 14:43 They just can't help themselves...
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The RIAA, that is.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=582&e=3&cid=582&u=/nm/20030118/wr_nm/tech_internet_music_dc

Lifted from Slashdot. I cannot believe the depths they're sinking to in order to perpetuate this riduclous agenda.

#135861 - 18/01/2003 14:59 Re: They just can't help themselves... [Re: tonyc]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
I note this bit from that story:

In reply to:

Officials from Pressplay and MusicNet, which are in their second year in operation, declined to disclose how many customers they have.

"We haven't really started yet," said Alan McGlade, CEO of MusicNet, when asked about his subscriber base.

Michael Bebel, CEO of Pressplay, said his customers tally is in the tens of thousands. He added that the firm, backed by Universal and Sony, could expand into Canada in the first half of the year, its second market after the U.S. He didn't have a timeframe for Europe.

Meanwhile, Kazaa and Morpheus claim tens of millions of registered users who download a wide variety of tracks for free.

Yeah and while the Record companies fiddles about with online music, Kazaa and Morphues users can do the downloading right now, not in 6, 12 or 60 months time when the "official" sites get going.

I also wonder about these guys [the RIAA] saying that the demand for broadband is mostly due to file swapping and the ISPs know this and are therefore responsible - thats a very long bow to pull.

Thats a different kettle of fish from suing Kazaa which is a file swapping service ala Napster, to suing an ISP "just because they have a customer who uses bandwidth in a way they choose to".

They are tacking a leaf out of the book that the MPAA uses for dealing with movie-swapping sites - in this case the MPAA sends a cease and desist letter to ISPs outside the US when they find (users) websites hosted at that ISP, that are hosting music or video files.

And while technically this has no legal validity, the ISPs tend to comply and take the sites down, even though they know they have no legal right or authority to do so.

Edited by number6 (18/01/2003 16:05)

#135862 - 18/01/2003 17:50 Re: They just can't help themselves... [Re: number6]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If I start to see higher ISP charges due to something like this, I will start downloading music instead of buying CDs. To me, the justification will be that I'm paying for it anyway.

#135863 - 19/01/2003 08:35 Re: They just can't help themselves... [Re: drakino]
cob666
new poster

Drakino wrote:
>I will start downloading music instead of buying CDs.
>To me, the justification will be that I'm paying for it anyway.

You have a VERY good point there. If the cost of downloading music is already factored into your monthly ISP charge then you are already technically paying for music that you haven't downloaded yet.

I recall the same thing happening with blank audio tapes many years ago.

As a sidenote - I was never a big user of napster and the like, usually only downloading stuff that I couldn't find at the stores and my yearly CD purchase was perhaps 1-5 per year TOPS. Since the purchase of my empeg, I find that a lot of the music I do find online is inferior in quality to what I could product myself. So, I now buy on average 2 CDs per month.

-COB

#135864 - 22/01/2003 10:56 Re: They just can't help themselves... [Re: tonyc]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#135865 - 29/01/2003 21:27 Re: They just can't help themselves... [Re: jimhogan]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I just barely saw this! This so sucks for internet privacy!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons