Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#137707 - 28/01/2003 00:45 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real th [Re: elperepat]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

I used to have a playlist called "speed lyrics"
(not sure what happened to it)

BNL's One Week has a lot of lyrics, but it's not as fast as some others.

Bree Sharp's Guttermouth and Weird Al's You Make Me are pretty fast ones.

But the fastest lyrics I can find in my collection (~14K songs) is from the Animaniacs sountrack (the first one) called Yakko's World. In 1:35, he runs through almost all the countries of the world!

So how about combining a bunch of apps together:
Have GPSapp detect where you are and play certain songs that may be more appropriate to that setting. Using a serial connection to an OBD-II link, the player could automatically show lyrics when you're stopped. After a song had been played a certain number of times, emptriv could quiz you on song lyrics using the TTS engine to read questions. Of course all of these apps would be installed by the future jEmplode's auto-installer and run via preinit. Then there's Hijack as the glue that holds all the apps together.

#137708 - 28/01/2003 09:46 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
i haven't tested this yet, but have you tried to use a lyric tag thats longer than 255 characters? a while back, i encoutered a limitation w/ the comment field being expressed w/ 2 bytes... probably the same w/ all other fields.

If the lyric tag is a proper ID3V2 tag for lyrics, and not just text slapped into the comment field, then emplode will never know about it and it won't run into that limitation in emlode.

Lyric_tag != Comment_Field.

#137709 - 28/01/2003 09:50 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Currently, the lyrics spec that he's using is not an ID3v2 tag, but the Lyrics3 spec, which is rather akin to the ID3v1 spec, in that it's a big chunk of non-mp3 data appended to the mp3 file.

I don't know exactly what comment field problem you're talking about, so that may not be relevant, but it's definitely not ID3v2, although there's good hope that we can get that to happen in the future.

#137710 - 28/01/2003 09:51 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

in that it's a big chunk of non-mp3 data appended to the mp3 file.

Argh, that's the stuff that usually confuses emplode, and I want no part of it.

Someone call me when he's using a proper ID3V2 tag.

#137711 - 28/01/2003 11:59 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: tfabris]
elperepat
enthusiast

Loc: Qc, Canada
Hi!

I really don't know why some of you are having difficulty uploading lyrics3 tagged songs to the empeg... It works very well for me... I just uploaded an album full of tagged lyrics3 mp3 flawlessly...

Too bad you can't see the scroll by yourself ;-(

You might want to take a look at a file on kazaa network:

Search for:
Artist: John Mann
Title: Acoustic Kitty
served by elperepat
it will be there for a day or two...

It is lyrics3 tagged and it uploaded just fine on my empeg this morning with 2-0 Beta 13 software

Regarding the 255 chars limit:

The software is currently limited to 100 tagged lines of 100 chars long. It's not that bad... I've seen a couple of time when the end lyrics lines have been cut, but none when 100 lines where not enough.. Maybe on some real long songs though... This will be adjusted in future versions..

Patrick

Edited by elperepat (28/01/2003 12:20)

#137712 - 28/01/2003 13:08 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: elperepat]
oliver
addict

could you just paste the lyrics into the a reply to this message? i don't have kazaa installed because it screws with my computer and locks up explorer. I would really like to get this working, i think i have everything tagged right, but it still says sorry no lyrics found!

#137713 - 28/01/2003 15:38 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: oliver]
elperepat
enthusiast

Here's the lyrics file ;-) It will certainly not make a great sense with your own mp3, but you should see it scroll

Open the attached file and copy all the content in the clipboard

Just be sure you set lyrics 1.22 (editor) to save into the mp3 and not anywhere else... (Winamp Options Preferences Plugins General Purpose Lyrics 1.22 Preferred lyrics format: Lyrics3.2) See picture 1

Return to winamp, press CTRL-Y to make the lyrics window popup, press CTRL-L to enter edit mode, press CTRL-V to paste clipboard into edit window and the press CTRL-T to save (these are all shortcuts of the "wrench menu" on the lyrics window)... If you want to see if timstamps are ok, you press the buttons at the bottom of the lyrics window (Press CTRL-Y to make it appear/dissapear) so all little dots on them are green (see picture 2)
If you play that song in winamp now, the lyrics should be "selected" as the song progress...

To timestamp a song, Paste the lyrics in the window, but don't save yet... Press CTRL-D to enter timestamp mode (CTRL-D again if you want to exit and return to edit mode) Play the song and click on the line when the singer begin to sing it. If there's a blank line, click on it when the singer ends the previous line... Then CTRL-T to save

Then upload via emplode and it should work...

For anyone concerned with corruption and lyrics.......

Maybe saving lyrics in a completely separate file would be a good alternative: If Jemplode or any third party program would offer an menu or button to "attach" lyrics to a selected song, then opened a browse window. We would select the .lrc file on our computer we want to send to empeg. The process would rename the file to FID.lrc corresponding to the FID of the mp3. Lyrics viewer would just have to look for the corresponding .lrc file. These files could live up on the music partitions... Good idea?????

Patrick

Attachments
136753-lyrics howto.zip (182 downloads)

#137714 - 28/01/2003 16:45 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: elperepat]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe saving lyrics in a completely separate file would be a good alternative:

I think it's better to do it right, and get the lyrics into the ID3v2 tag. I'm workin' on it.

#137715 - 28/01/2003 20:53 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: elperepat]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
In reply to:

Real id3v2 SYLT support (BTW, I looked at id3lib doc.... whew too much for me ;-) and can I include C++ lib in a C prog?

Yuppers, can, assuming your linker knows about it, and yoiu're linking correctly.
(Do it in my stuff for work alla time. And I don't even consider myself a 'programmer'.)
Me.

#137716 - 28/01/2003 21:02 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: foxtrot_xray]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
the lyrics viewer works great for me, havent had any problesm uploading songs with them. The only problem is on some reaslly fast songs it cant keep up, but this might be partly due to my tagging o the lyrics. Great Work!

#137717 - 28/01/2003 21:55 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: tfabris]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hmmm, I'm not sure anyone here can say what will or will not stand up in court. ;-)

#137718 - 28/01/2003 23:14 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: elperepat]
oliver
addict

Something must be completely f'ed up with my computer. Because i cannot get this scroller to work. I have everything setup like you've said, and still no luck. Before my lyrics were not scrolling in winamp, now they are, but still not on the empeg. owell, i guess maybe i will have better luck with the next version.

#137719 - 29/01/2003 00:38 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: foxtrot_xray]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yuppers, can, assuming your linker knows about it, and yoiu're linking correctly.
(Do it in my stuff for work alla time. And I don't even consider myself a 'programmer'.)
Me.

Yeah, id3lib has a slick C wrapper around its C++ innards. Real nice, though they should have just implemented it in C to begin with. C++ is a steaming pile of dog poo. ("Tell us how you really feel, Tony.")

Anyway, I made a good amount of progress on the first half of the ID3v2 SYLT portion of the program, which is the part that adds the synced lyrics to your MP3's. It's basically taking LRC format lyrics (like the ones the aforementioned WinAMP plugin uses) and puts together the ID3 frame, which id3lib then adds to the MP3. Believe it or not, it looks like it's actually working. I need to error-check the parsing of the input LRC, but right now, the id3info program is telling me that my program is creating a valid SYLT frame:

[root@spaz lyrics]# id3info test.mp3

*** Tag information for test.mp3
=== TSIZ (Size): 4821577
=== TCON (Content type): Alternative
=== TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Smells Like Teen Spirit
=== SYLT (Synchronized lyric/text): (test)[eng]: Text transcription
Load up on guns and bring your friends [34000 ms]
It's fun to lose and to pretend [38000 ms]
She's over bored and self assured [42000 ms]
Oh no, I know a dirty word [47000 ms]
And I forget just why I taste [214000 ms]
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile [218000 ms]
I found it hard, it was hard to find [222000 ms]
Oh well, whatever, nevermind [227000 ms]
=== TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Nirvana

The SYLT frame can take timestamps in either MPEG frames or milliseconds. I chose milliseconds, since those are much easier to compare to seconds than MPEG frames are.

Next step is to clean this thing up, including modifying it to handle LRC lines with multiple timestamps on them (lyrics that are repeated at two or more times in the song.) Then I'll work on modifying Patrick's lyrics viewer to pull the lyrics from the SYLT frame instead of the Lyrics3 tag. After that, maybe I'll flex my Windows programming muscles a little bit and break off a little GUI thing to add time tags to untimed lyrics. I'll keep y'all posted.

#137720 - 29/01/2003 01:06 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: tonyc]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
i tested it out, but for some reason dint see the lyrics.

#137721 - 29/01/2003 01:35 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: RobotCaleb]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
oh yeah, my vfd is broken.

#137722 - 29/01/2003 02:43 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: RobotCaleb]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#137723 - 29/01/2003 03:44 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: tonyc]
elperepat
enthusiast

my program is creating a valid SYLT frame

Thats great news!!

Thanks!!!

#137724 - 29/01/2003 04:26 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: tonyc]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
C++ is a steaming pile of dog poo.

Oi!! You. Outside. Now.

#137725 - 29/01/2003 08:36 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: Roger]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

#137726 - 29/01/2003 10:51 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, I see that my doppelganger and I agree on one thing.

#137727 - 29/01/2003 10:54 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

OMG, that Stroustrup faux-interview is freaking hilarious.

#137728 - 29/01/2003 11:35 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real thing!! [Re: Roger]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
..i agree..not a big fan of C++, I write stuff in 'C' and a multitude of different assembly languages.... There is some cool stuff about C++ and I used it once at work (implemented a rather snazzy excel style grid control for use in a visual basic program), but then converted the C++ back to C to use in another project... MFC in particular sucks, I don't know what's wrong with the standard Win32 API... In fact the gnome people got it right by not using C++.... (At least in Gnome 1)...

Adrian

#137729 - 30/01/2003 09:56 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's the real th [Re: TheAmigo]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
On that note - how about an emptriv-like app that is name that tune - based on the music collection in the empeg -
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#137730 - 31/01/2003 09:47 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

And hell, if it was good enough maybe we could get Drakino to put in on Riocar

Glad someone made the argument I was getting ready to say when I saw this. While I'd love to put togther a lyrics database, the legal issues surrounding this aren't something I'd really like to deal with. The whole My.MP3.com thing from ages ago indicates trouble even if you do verify the user owns the music.

#137731 - 01/02/2003 22:15 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: matthew_k]
TheRhino

Loc: Aurora, CO
Yeah, could someone post the "times" for R.E.M.'s It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)? Just kidding

#137732 - 01/02/2003 22:47 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: TheRhino]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
lol i was thinking the same thing when i saw this first. i dont think thats gunna work very well

#137733 - 02/02/2003 00:10 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: justinlarsen]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah, could someone post the "times" for R.E.M.'s It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)? Just kidding

lol i was thinking the same thing when i saw this first. i dont think thats gunna work very well

That sounds like a challenge, guys! You just happened to pick one of the songs I'm using to test out my modifications to Patrick's lyrics viewer.

Using the small font, it's not too bad, even with a song that has a new line of lyrics every 2 or 3 seconds.

Anyway, I should be releasing something in the next week or so... Just couldn't resist the urge to post that, since you guys mentioned it.

#137734 - 03/02/2003 11:41 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

The whole My.MP3.com thing from ages ago indicates trouble even if you do verify the user owns the music.

Eh... That's an apples to bananas comparison if you ask me. You can do a google search to find thousands of high-profile lyrics sites that have been around for quite a while. If we did something on the down-low on riocar.org, it would never show up in a Google search, because nobody would be linking to it. The my.mp3.com thing was actual unauthorized distribution of music, whereas lyrics are generally transcribed by the masses. As I mentioned, the record companies HAVE gone after some of the heaviest-hitters (The LEO archive that used to be on FTP, lyrics.ch, etc) but there's no way they'd go after a private database where only a few dozen people are accessing them.

We could even use this BBS to post LRC files if we wanted to. One thread per album or per artist or something like that... The BBS's search feature could be used to find them.... It sounds like you wouldn't endorse this, but if you just created a forum that required users to be registered and logged-in to view it, I think it'd be secure, and I can't imagine a scenario where you'd hit any legal trouble.

But, of course, that's your decision to make. I just think that there would be hundreds of sites they'd go after first.

#137735 - 03/02/2003 11:52 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
You can do a google search to find thousands of high-profile lyrics sites that have been around for quite a while.

Remember that there was a lyrics archive on ftp.uwp.edu, and they got shut down. A guy named Dave Datta who IIRC also ran the Orchestral Manoevers in the Dark fan mailing list ran it. I wish I remembered what the details were, but amusingly until recently mirrors.aol.com had a mirror of it. It went away in the last few months.

#137736 - 03/02/2003 12:14 Re: Lyrics Viewer now reality: Here's a teaser!!! [Re: Daria]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah dude that thing had gotten to be HUGE though. Like you said, there were mirrors of the UWP archive *everywhere*. If we did this, it'd be a very small archive with a very small audience. I think we'd stay well underneath the radar.

If I had a website with PHP and MySQL abilities, I'd do this myself. I can run my own web server on my own machine, but my upstream bandwidth would probably be limiting.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >