Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#13805 - 12/08/2000 19:19 Empeg doesn't fit right in Toyota dash
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I was shocked to find that the empeg would not fit in the dash of my '95 Toyota 4Runner. The empeg is only made to replace radios that install from the front side and have a DIN sized hole. Toyota's and other manufacturers that use a (better security) behind the dash mounting have a opening too small for the empeg by about 1/8 inch on sides. The only way to make it fit is to cut the original dash opening.

Has anyone had to do this yet?

Alex Lear

#13806 - 12/08/2000 20:59 Re: Empeg doesn't fit right in Toyota dash [Re: alear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I haven't seen a Toyota dash, but I'd wager that your limiting factor is probably a plastic fascia part that you could replace with a din-capable piece. Such a piece would probably be included with Crutchfield's installation kits. Have you called Crutchfield or taken the car to a professional installer? They might be able to help you out so that no cutting is involved.

#13807 - 13/08/2000 09:21 Re:Empeg doesn't fit right in Toyota... - Pictures [Re: tfabris]
alear
enthusiast

Unfortunatly, cutting will have to occur if I want to pull it out. The stock toyota radios are bigger than the opening. They are meant to "peek" through the opening. Keeps them from being stolen because a theif would literally have to take the dash off to get to the bolts. You can't just insert a "key" to pull out the radio. The hole is physically smaller than the radio and much smaller than the cage. I have already "trimmed" the dash with a dremel tool. It came out pretty nice to. I had to bend the stock radio mounts to fit the cage were the old radio was. I have it in the dash but the dash has not been put back in the car yet. Here are some pictures to help describe my situation. Sorry they aren't the best pictures, I got them from the internet.

Alex Lear

#13808 - 13/08/2000 12:24 Re:Empeg doesn't fit right in Toyota... - Pictures [Re: alear]
alear
enthusiast

Most other major car audio head unit manufacturers size to fit the Toyota dash. You can see a clear size difference in Marks installation here -> http://mse.ufl.edu/~mark/empeg/pages/P1010019.htm
However, empeg is not to blame for this. To make a pull out unit fit in this space, the unit would have to be about 1/2 inch smaller side-to-side.

Alex Lear

#13809 - 13/08/2000 13:15 Re:Empeg doesn't fit right in Toyota... - Pictures [Re: alear]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Most other major car audio head unit manufacturers size to fit the Toyota dash. You can see a clear size difference in Marks installation here -> http://mse.ufl.edu/~mark/empeg/pages/P1010019.htm
However, empeg is not to blame for this. To make a pull out unit fit in this space, the unit would have to be about 1/2 inch smaller side-to-side.

I haven't had any problems fitting Mk1 & Mk2 into my '92 Toyota Camry. In both cases the cage fitted in nicely. Only difference I've noticed is that Mk2 slides in the cage much smoother without scratching the empeg borders as much as Mk1 did - but I believe this is an overall feature on the Mk2 cage and is car independent.

Kim

#13810 - 13/08/2000 17:49 Re:Empeg doesn't fit right in Toyota... - Pictures [Re: kim]
alear
enthusiast

I should have been more specific. These posts are for Toyota pickups and SUV's in the range of about 1985-1995. I don't know about other models or years.

Alex Lear