Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#13827 - 13/08/2000 10:33 Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit?
mkaye
stranger

I am currently very close to buying an external EQ unit (Audio Control EQL). However, I will be running the empeg as my source and was wondering whether the software EQ is as good as the Audio Control unit?

Please advise - you guys n gals could save me 200 quid!

M

Edited by mkaye on 13/8/00 06:34 PM.

---- MKII #080000528 - 40Gb Blue

#13828 - 13/08/2000 11:12 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: mkaye]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
From what I can see the empeg eq is EXTREMELY flexible. More than most people need. However, I am still using an external eq and here's why.

Since I now have two head units, the eq I have allows me to switch between them with the push of a button. It also gives me master volume control over the two units. Every song sounds different to me and I like being able to tweak it with a few knobs rather than entering the eq settings and tweaking it there which takes some time (even to change the eq preset). I also have dedicated subwoofer output control which is the most common tweak I make. The empeg eq is the best I have seen on a car radio. It reminds me of the Rockford Fosgate Symetry system without individual amp control. The symetry system is a load of money too.

I use the empeg's settings to compensate for my cars audio characteristics. Then I use the external eq to tweak the settings. I liked the fact that all those features were at my fingertips without entering menus or previous setup. I like to listen to music differently for different moods. I have choosen the Eclipse 2101 model eq. I looked at the audiocontrol range and the equivalent model is the "four.1i" or "four.1". However, it lacks the dedicated subwoofer output. The "four.1i" is perfect for those people that don't have a seperate subwoofer amplifier or have a 5channel amp. The eclipse eq's are often on eBay for about $150. I got lucky and got mine there for $112. Eclipse now makes a newer model called the 21010. It is exactly the same with a different volume knob.

Alex Lear

#13829 - 13/08/2000 11:18 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: mkaye]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I am very impressed with the flexibility and quality of the Empeg's EQ.

This external EQ you're getting... Does it have fully parametric operation (adjustable Q and frequency for every single band)? Does it allow you to EQ the front speakers and the rear speakers differently? Does it have 16 name-able presets? Can it automatically change its personality when you move the unit from the car to the house?

You get all of those things with the Empeg's internal EQ.

If I were you, I'd put that 200 quid towards better amps/speakers and a subwoofer. With the Empeg, your EQ needs are covered.

And, as a teaser: The idea has been bandied about on this BBS that, with a little work, it would be possible to implement a per-song-EQ in the player software. The guys@empeg have been quiet about this for a while, although they seemed warm to the idea at one time.

#13830 - 14/08/2000 00:30 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: alear]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
Is there a write-up on how to set the EQ? I checked the manual and it just says some basic stuff. I know SOMETHING about setting frequencies, but I'm clueless as to what a "Q" is. Does anyone have a site they could link me to, in order to find out more about setting an EQ, specifically a parametric EQ, with explanations as to what the "Q" is? I can set the EQ up just as anyone else can, by listening to it, changing it, and repeating until it's tweaked to my liking, but that usually takes a few months to get it just right. I'd prefer to have an idea of what it is I'm changing and should be listening for.

Thanks!

George

#13831 - 14/08/2000 09:34 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
alear
enthusiast

The "Q" factor is sort of like the range around the center frequency that gets adjusted. As you adjust the level of a frequency you are not just adjusting that exact frequency you are adjusting it and the frequencies around it. The "Q" will adjust how much around that center frequency is adjusted. I believe a high Q is very tight around the center frequency, where as, a low Q will adjust many frequencies around it.

Thats the layman definition. The techie definition would also state that the Q is adjusted by moving the poles in the z-plane of your filter.

Alex Lear

#13832 - 14/08/2000 09:53 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: alear]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation. The techie definition wouldn't have done it for me. LOL! But, it made more sense after reading the layman definition. Now, with that explanation, it seems as though the Q would only be adjusted with a parametric EQ, correct? I would think that since a parametric EQ grabs the surrounding frequencies, this would certainly come into play. Could this be used on a normal EQ, though? Thinking about it some more, it does seem like it's possible, but it seems more useful to be on a parametric EQ. Either way, that's really cool to be able to adjust that. The one on my Pioneer doesn't allow this, but would do wonders for zoning in on the exact sound I want.

Thanks again! (Now, if only I had an empeg to try this out on... )

George

#13833 - 14/08/2000 10:41 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Would it be helpful to have a dissertation on parametric equalization in the FAQ?

#13834 - 14/08/2000 10:49 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: tfabris]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

In a word... DEFINITELY!

George

#13835 - 14/08/2000 15:30 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

In a word... DEFINITELY!

Your wish is my command.

(Actually, I'd been meaning to put that in the FAQ for a long time, you just spurred me on.)

#13836 - 14/08/2000 16:00 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: tfabris]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

I just got finished reading it. If it's accurate , it looks great. That was just the information I was looking for. (Now that I ordered my empeg, this is going to come in handy!) Thanks.

George

#13837 - 14/08/2000 17:04 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: tfabris]
alear
enthusiast

Awesome EQ FAQ Tony. Really nailed the subject and did it clearly which is hard to do. And pictures are definetly worth a thousand words.

Alex Lear

#13838 - 14/08/2000 19:33 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: alear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Awesome EQ FAQ Tony. Really nailed the subject and did it clearly which is hard to do.

Thanks. Like I said, I'd had it in my head to do it for a while, so there's been some background processing going on leading up to it.

And pictures are definetly worth a thousand words.

Yeah, but somehow, with me, you get the pictures AND the thousand words. Gotta work on that...

#13839 - 14/08/2000 19:44 Re: Is empeg EQ as good as a dedicated unit? [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

Yeah, but somehow, with me, you get the pictures AND the thousand words. Gotta work on that...

Nothing wrong with that..it's just detailed - not wordy...
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units