Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#140229 - 05/02/2003 00:14 Sony Stalk Funkiness
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Do any of you Sony stalk users ever experience the stalk "forgetting" what it's supposed to do? I have my stalk remapped in Hijak using MMorow's setup and it seems that quite often the stalk takes on a life of it's own and does whatever it feels like.

I also notice quite a bit of lag the first 15-20 seconds of a song when making adjustments via the stalk. In searching around, I kind of gathered that was normal or is there some adjustment that can be made in the config to get rid of or lessen the lag?

FWIW, even with the funkiness Im experiencing, the stalk rocks. With the tuner project underway, hopefully there will be a renewed interest in the stalk again. It is without a doubt worth the price of the tuner alone, even at the price I paid for a tuner (Although not quite Ebay prices, thankfully).

Thanks!

Jay

#140230 - 05/02/2003 11:20 Re: Sony Stalk Funkiness [Re: KungFuCow]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK

FWIW, even with the funkiness Im experiencing, the stalk rocks. With the tuner project underway, hopefully there will be a renewed interest in the stalk again. It is without a doubt worth the price of the tuner alone, even at the price I paid for a tuner (Although not quite Ebay prices, thankfully).

I agree with every statement here.

To go one step further, IMO the button queuing issue is the #1 empeg bug, #2 being the weak radio reception compared to most 'regular' head units

#140231 - 05/02/2003 11:33 Re: Sony Stalk Funkiness [Re: KungFuCow]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I also notice quite a bit of lag the first 15-20 seconds of a song when making adjustments via the stalk. In searching around, I kind of gathered that was normal or is there some adjustment that can be made in the config to get rid of or lessen the lag?

I believe the "lag" you are describing is a known bug in 2.0 beta 13 that should be corrected by 2.0 final. It's not just the stalk, similar behavior can be observed from the front panel (for example, trying to fast-forward a song). There is no configuration change you can do to lessen it in Beta 13, it's just a bug.

The other problems, I don't know about. I'm only addressing the "lag" here.

#140232 - 05/02/2003 11:36 Re: Sony Stalk Funkiness [Re: jarob10]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
#2 being the weak radio reception compared to most 'regular' head units

My radio reception on my Mk2 was fine with the original tuner module. It was comparable to most other head units with the possible exception of the most expensive ones with the best tuners.

If you're getting bad reception with the tuner module, check the tuner-related items in the troubleshooting section of the FAQ. And check your wiring: For instance, I had problems with reception that I traced to the antenna wire being frayed in one spot.

#140233 - 05/02/2003 14:21 Re: Sony Stalk Funkiness [Re: tfabris]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

What Im seeing from the stalk is far worse than the front panel. For example, when a song start playing and I make a volume adjustment, it can take between 5-10 seconds for the volume adjustment to register. Shipping tracks, etc is fine. I don't believe I can FFWD through a song with MMarlow's config. He has that part set up for next/previous track.

Maybe what I'm seeing isnt normal then?

For you guys with tuner kits coming, GET A STALK! I had one of the Kenwood remotes that sticks on the back of the steering wheel before. It now resides in the glove compartment.

#140234 - 05/02/2003 14:43 Re: Sony Stalk Funkiness [Re: KungFuCow]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
In reply to:

What Im seeing from the stalk is far worse than the front panel. For example, when a song start playing and I make a volume adjustment, it can take between 5-10 seconds for the volume adjustment to register. Shipping tracks, etc is fine. I don't believe I can FFWD through a song with MMarlow's config. He has that part set up for next/previous track.

I get something similar, not quite as bad, and I suspect that in part its the Stalk "wearing out" and/or the resistance values changing to be "out of range", for the buttons pressed.

I mostly use the two inner rings buttons, and they are the most "affected" [i.e. skip track forward/back].

Volume is fine on my stalk and I hardly ever use it though - so that maybe confirms the theory that the stalk is wearing out. But buttons like "mute" [which I use about 2-3 times a week] sometimes take ages to be responded to, and other times are quickly acted on.

I also notice that the behaviour seems "worse" when the stalk/car is warm [from being in the sun], as opposed to say first thing in the morning, when its cold inside the car.

I have a second "spare" stalk, I must try to see if the problem travels with the stalk or stays in the car, when the Stalk is swapped for my spare one.

If the Stalk is wearing out, then I suspect its just bad design in the stalk - given its mostly plastic and metal, its probably not going to last 5 years of daily use.

In which case I can see Sony supplying me with another replacement one soon to replace this one.

Still its a wonderful mechanism, and I would not give it up now. My Empeg remote sits mostly unused (but NOT unloved) in the glovebox.

#140235 - 05/02/2003 19:26 Re: Sony Stalk Funkiness [Re: number6]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

My stalk is less than 2 weeks old and has only been in the car for a week so I dont think wear is an issue in my case.

I think I just have the car/empeg install from hell.