Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#140766 - 06/02/2003 21:25 Re: Hangovers [Re: ninti]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
I'm well aware of that, however, most people do not drink in moderation all the time. For the few that have the discipline, good for them. I, on the other hand, will still never drink.
ricin.us

#140767 - 06/02/2003 21:31 Re: Hangovers [Re: ]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
For the record, drinking Gatorade or somethink of that ilk is a bad idea. The electrolytes help the alcohol get absorbed into the liver, which is where you'd rather not have it. It is far better to -=ahem=- pass the alcohol without the liver processing it. When I say better, bear in mind that I am talking about long-term health, not avoiding hangovers.

#140768 - 06/02/2003 21:49 Re: Hangovers [Re: pca]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

The young lawyerette was both drinking and smoking, and freely admitted to using at least two less legal narcotics in the form of pot and cocaine, but was vehemently opposed to any legalisation of either, and in fact was quite keen on the banning of both alcohol and tobacco.

You can tell that she was a lawyer-in-training...A fully-fledged lawyer would realise that legalising one's own vices could prevent a career-destroying conviction.

Has anyone else noticed that the Brits are conspicuous by their absence in this beer-related discussion?

#140769 - 06/02/2003 22:08 Re: Hangovers [Re: pca]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I don't use any drugs, drink tea, coffee, or even like coke,

That sounds familiar. I used to do coffee , but after a 36 hour stretch where I kept awake by drinking 3 1/2 pots and a six-pack of coke, I don't anymore. As for coke (as in Coca-Cola, the brand, which is all I drank, as well as just pop in general)? The carbonation just disrupts my digestive system to the point of horrific stomach cramps.

I'd agree with the pain-killer thing too, even though I rarely even do those. I seperated my shoulder a few years ago, and it never even occurred to me that I ought to get a prescription for pain. I didn't sleep so well some nights, but *shrug*.

I don't think I'm in that .05% of people that can't get past the taste -- I've never gotten past the smell enough to want it in my mouth -- but I don't mind (some) food that has it. Can't stand tiramisu, or other rum based things, though. Foul stuff. I'm not sure what I'll do when I go travelling in those parts of Europe where the wine is better than the water.

#140770 - 07/02/2003 01:23 Re: Hangovers [Re: canuckInOR]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

Personally, I don't like a lot of kinds of alcohol; for instance, I am not a big fan of most (not all) gin, scotch, or brandy, but I like vodka, bourbon, spiced rum, a lot of liqueurs and cordials, etc.

Different alcohols have different flavours. Also, coming up with the right mixtures will cancel out any of the strong liquor flavours while leaving a good taste. A popular drink is the Long Island Iced Tea (most liquor for least money) contains equal parts vodka, light rum, light tequila, triple sec, and gin, with a splash of lemon and Coke. If made right, it tastes like a real Iced Tea, but without the liquor flavour. Most bartenders couldn't pour a good LIT if their life depended on it, so I wouldn't recommend you order one.

I think few people could honestly say they dislike a Margarita or a Pina Colada. Also, you might want to try something like Irish Cream (comes premixed half cream / half irish whiskey) or some of the schnaps out there (butterscotch, peppermint, apricot). The butterscotch schnapps, for example, tastes just like butterscotch candy. A mixture of 1 part Bailey's Irish Cream and 3 parts butterscotch schnapps makes a very nice beverage (add a small amount of Vodka and you have a decently strong drink called a Buttery Nipple).

If you say you hate the taste of liquor, you obviously haven't tried the right things. A lot of people don't care about flavour and just want to get drunk, or they've acquired a taste for straight bourbon. Go out and try a margarita or buttery nipple and see what you think.

Personally, I think I'm going to make myself a White Russian (vodka, coffee liqueur, creme) or a Whiskey Sour (bourbon and sour mix, with a splash of lemon and a few drops of angustora bitters). You can't taste the alcohol if you mix either of those right.

-Biscuits

#140771 - 07/02/2003 01:37 Re: Hangovers [Re: Biscuitsjam]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I think few people could honestly say they dislike a Margarita or a Pina Colada

I guess I'm just one of a few!

#140772 - 07/02/2003 01:57 Re: Hangovers [Re: Biscuitsjam]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Personally, I think I'm going to make myself a White Russian

Those are good. I drank those for a while because The Dude drank them. Before seeing that movie, I always thought of a White Russian as a 'girl's drink.' There was no good reason behind that thinking though (maybe it was the milk). I haven't had one in a while, but I thank The Dude for opening my eyes.

#140773 - 07/02/2003 02:30 Re: Hangovers [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'd like to say that I've been up all night working on an exam, and I didn't drink any coffee (never have, actually).

Of course, I did keep myself up with a hot pocket, a glass of coke, and two flavorice Not good for me but ohhh so delicious

Edited by DiGNAN17 (07/02/2003 02:30)

#140774 - 07/02/2003 04:28 Re: Hangovers [Re: pca]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I don't drink at all, never have, and like you can't stand alcohol in anything, except maybe one or two of those chocolatey things with rum in

I'm exactly the same. It's not that I have anything against alcohol, I just don't like the taste.

I guess this is because I'm such a sweet tooth, and alcoholic drinks are mostly NOT sweet. Besides, I have such weak bowels that every excession is severely punished the day after if you know what I mean. This is not a problem for me because -as said- I don't care much for the taste anyway so I don't miss it.

However this HAS made me a very wanted object to go to party's with. Why? Because I'm the always the sober one and so I'm ALWAYS the sucker that has to drive, that's why.
I don't even mind that much. I've been in a few situations with my drunk friends that were farking hilarious. I didn't have to be drunk to enjoy them, and at least I can remember them.

#140775 - 07/02/2003 04:40 Re: Hangovers [Re: genixia]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Has anyone else noticed that the Brits are conspicuous by their absence in this beer-related discussion?

It's a timezone thing. All the Brits were out on the razz while that conversation was going on. [hic]

Peter

#140776 - 07/02/2003 04:55 Re: Hangovers [Re: genixia]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA

Start a thread on gun control and see how many Texans show up.

#140777 - 07/02/2003 05:13 Re: Hangovers [Re: peter]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, the Scots are here now - and I have been made to feel very alcoholic by everyone elses responses

I am not really a fan of beer (well, occasionally I'll have a case of Stella or something similar, but it increases the percentage of time spent going to the bathroom, so is inefficient) so I tend to go for cocktails and hard spirits.

I guess traditionally in northern Scotland we are used to going to the cinema with a halfie of vodka from about 13 or 14 years old (that's 350ml-ish) and even now, with two kids under 3, every now and then we'll have a night in with 2 friends of ours and it is not unknown for the 4 of us to get through a case of beer, 6 or 7 bottles of wine and some whiskies, alcopops, white/black russians and some g&t's.

Here, though, the hangover cure is a huge bacon/sausage/egg fryup and copious quantities of Irn Bru.
Irn Bru is the best hangover cure in the world, and in Scotland is the only soft drink which outsells Coke. It is also a lovely natural glowing orange colour!

I have to say that avoiding beer and wine, and just drinking cocktails ensures never having a hangover. You can get through 6 or 7 pints of black russian and feel fine the next day, as it hydrates you along the way.

In fact the mornings I have felt worst have been after non-drinking nights when I have had 12 or15 Red Bull's. They really screw you up

If I can get to Amersfoort, I think I may challenge everyone to a drinking contest to uphold my national pride...(best not mention I'm only Scottish by way of being born here, actually half Australian, half English)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#140778 - 07/02/2003 07:30 Re: Hangovers [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I thought one of the funniest things in that movie was him trying to make a white russian, not being able to find any cream, and settling on using powdered non-dairy creamer.

#140779 - 07/02/2003 10:05 Re: Hangovers [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
That is my all time favorite movie. I can quote nearly the whole damn thing. Brilliance. in fact... that movie is why we named our webhosting biz "logjamming.com". (i know i know... in the movie it's "logjammin'"... but my partner wouldn't have it.

#140780 - 07/02/2003 10:41 Re: Hangovers [Re: loren]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
When he crashed his car I laughed so hard I almost fell off the couch, I'm laughing while I'm typing this!

#140781 - 07/02/2003 11:00 Re: Hangovers [Re: lockuplever]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
which time?! hahaha.

#140782 - 07/02/2003 13:49 Re: Hangovers [Re: loren]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
When he dropped the roach and hit a dumpster.

#140783 - 09/02/2003 02:49 Re: Hangovers [Re: lockuplever]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
Funny, because I was totally against any drugs (including alcohol) before coming to college. Even up at college I looked down upon those who drank and partied and such. Tried having a few beers once with some buddies, and now I drink occasionally (although I still hate the taste of alcohol). I guess I'm the opposite, because I don't drink for the taste, I can't stand it. I drink to get a little buzz and just have a good time. I think it would have been really hard to go thru college without getting at least buzzed once... lots and lots of self-control

#140784 - 09/02/2003 02:53 Re: Hangovers [Re: jheathco]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
Hah classic. Had to chime in about the Big Lebowski... that is probably one of my all-time favorite comedies.

"If you pull any crazy sh_t, flash your piece out on the lanes, I'm going to take it away from you, shove it up your ass, and pull the f_ckin trigger to it goes..... click"

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3