Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14126 - 15/08/2000 14:19 A hotch potch
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England

Well, I've had Em for all of ten hours now and I've come up with a small list of... well, they're not bugs, but IMHO they need sorting.

1 - Search by whatever is case sensitive - "Belle and Sebastian" and "Belle And Sebastian" are treated as two different artists. Since I can only type case insensitive letters when I'm searching, is there really any reason for this?

2 - Just a minor thing - I would like to be able to hit F2 to edit a playlist name, rather than have to Alt+Enter etc. etc. This would then be in keeping with Windows Explorer.

3 - I renamed a playlist and did a sync. It took ages reading back the database. Why does it need to do this when the changes are so simple?

4 - After a sync I'd like the window to return to the way I left it. Instead, I have to click 'close' on the sync window, then the empeg-car shrinks down and I have to click '+' to reopen it and repeat until I get back to where I was.

5 - The Info Line starts with the artist name scrolled off to the left hand side, but with a bit still showing. I think I can see why it's been done this way, but the effect is that it looks like a bug. Especially when the artist and title are short enough to fit on without scrolling - it has to scroll them right to get them both on screen at the same time.

6 - In Emplode, I would expect dragging a playlist to be on top of another would do what Windows Explorer does and move the first playlist to within the second. I can see why Emplode doesn't (so one can set up playlist ordering), but it's a PITA when you're used to working with Explorer.

7 - I would like to be able to search by artist (e.g. type in "BELLE" to get "Belle and Sebastian") and then to move on to a list of all their tracks to select one from there. Now, I know that sounds like a strange thing to want to do - after all, if I want to listen to "The boy with the arab strap", I can just search on that, but... I found myself wanting to see what tracks I'd got by a particular artist, and then having a looksee through them to see if I fancy listening to any of them at the moment. Anyway, how to do that isn't listed in the manual, and I think I've hit just about every key combination, so I assume (don't say it), it's not possible.

I think that's about it for now.

Nick.

PS First 4Gb sync went over ethernet with no problems at all. I'm running another one over night to fill up the drive, hoping it'll be done by the time I leave tomorrow morning - hey, got to take it to work to show off with, haven't I!

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#14127 - 15/08/2000 14:34 Re: A hotch potch [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
1 - Search by whatever is case sensitive - "Belle and Sebastian" and "Belle And Sebastian" are treated as two different artists. Since I can only type case insensitive letters when I'm searching, is there really any reason for this?

Now that you've worded it so clearly and concisely, I think this one should be in Bug Reports.

I've worked around it myself by discovering these instances and fixing my tags. But you're right, in the case of Search by Artist, it doesn't make sense to separate them by case.

3 - I renamed a playlist and did a sync. It took ages reading back the database. Why does it need to do this when the changes are so simple?

There should be a fairly short pause for it to rebuild the database and reload it. However, I don't know what you define as "ages". There has been a bug reported by other users where there's a long pause during synchs- about 5 minutes in one report. This is a bug or some other problem and isn't the intended behavior (i.e., it doesn't happen on mine). See if you can find one of these threads and add your report to it.

4 - After a sync I'd like the window to return to the way I left it. Instead, I have to click 'close' on the sync window, then the empeg-car shrinks down and I have to click '+' to reopen it and repeat until I get back to where I was.

I don't understand what you're describing here. On my system, the window never moves (unless I move it) and it behaves itself completely the whole time. Can you reproduce this problem and give us more specific details?

#14128 - 15/08/2000 14:47 Re: A hotch potch [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...

I don't understand what you're describing here. On my system, the window never moves (unless I move it) and it behaves itself completely the whole time. Can you reproduce this problem and give us more specific details?

I think what he is saying is the view of the playlists colapses in all windows to just 'empegcar'.

3 - Search by whatever is case sensitive - ...

Do a search on "smash case"

Murray 06000047

#14129 - 15/08/2000 15:23 Re: A hotch potch [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think what he is saying is the view of the playlists colapses in all windows to just 'empegcar'.

Ah, yes, now I get it. He's complaining that the tree view collapses.

I understand why this happens: When you finish a synch, Emplode essentially restarts itself from scratch and gets a fresh download of the database. But if the Empeg guys wanted to, they could code in a little thing to "remember" where it was before the synch started, and then go back there when it's done. This would be a bit of work, though. Honestly, there's a whole bunch of other stuff I'd rather see first.