Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#141521 - 09/02/2003 18:45 Pontiac Firebird mounting kit has recessed ledge..
chango
new poster

I have a 95 Pontiac Firebird that I'm trying to beautify and the install of the empeg also has to be upgraded.

Here's the problem -

The empeg sled fits in just fine and goes right against the recession. The problem is that the empeg seems to have a face much less deep than a typical in dash unit. The result is the player sunk into the dash kit 1/4". I hate this.

I am now asking you all for help because I can not for the life of me find a mounting kit that does not have such a deep recession. The only recession I need at all is one just deep enough for the sled to lock into.

So can someone point me in the right direction?
// Mark II empeg 10GB Blue #2537

#141522 - 09/02/2003 20:11 Re: Pontiac Firebird mounting kit has recessed ledge.. [Re: chango]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
You might try keeping your existing mounting kit but trying this found in this post by Mr. Fabris. Basically you remove the sled connector and move it inside the the sled... causing the empeg to stick out more.

#141523 - 09/02/2003 22:23 Re: Pontiac Firebird mounting kit has recessed ledge.. [Re: chango]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, what Lopan said. Do Morris' trick and see how it looks.

By the way, this is a picture of a finished installation with a similar dash kit, and I don't think it looks bad at all to have the player recessed a bit. Although I do see your point.

#141524 - 09/02/2003 23:37 Re: Pontiac Firebird mounting kit has recessed ledge.. [Re: lopan]
chango
new poster

Well I was able to mount the head unit so that it isn't recessed but the problem is the cutout on the plate. I shoved a piece of wood behind the sled which backed into the air conditioning duct on my car. From the back seats it appears normal but from the drivers seat I have to look down slightly to see the display. I see the sled from this angle and it looks really trashy to me. I know that its nitpicking but caraudio setups seem to get the best of me.
// Mark II empeg 10GB Blue #2537

#141525 - 10/02/2003 07:23 Re: Pontiac Firebird mounting kit has recessed ledge.. [Re: chango]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
In reply to:

I see the sled from this angle and it looks really trashy to me

Yeah that would bug me, I can actually see my sled from the drivers seat too, I keep meaning to cut a trim ring like Tony did here, but I haven't gotten around to it. It might be the answer your looking for. Sorry to keep using you as an example Tony

#141526 - 10/02/2003 11:38 Re: Pontiac Firebird mounting kit has recessed ledge.. [Re: lopan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or you could buy one of Rob Riccardelli's black sleds!