Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#145661 - 25/02/2003 11:12 Rock the vote!
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
A little poll here, folks. It's not trivial to build LRC parsing into emphatic, so I want to make sure people would find it useful. Keep in mind that Mike "Mr. jEmplode" Schrag has told me he's interested in supporting lyric tagging from jEmplode, so if you're leaning towards LRC files because tagging is a hassle, that won't be the case in the future, so vote accordingly. I am, of course, not voting in this poll.

If emphatic supported the use of separate LRC files (as opposed to embedded lyrics in the MP3)...
I would find this useful, and would use LRC files exclusively
I would probably use it on a few occasions, but I'd prefer to have the lyrics tagged inside the MP3
I wouldn't use it, and would rather have the lyrics embedded in the MP3
I don't really care about lyrics, I just use emphatic for the custom info modes
I don't care about your stupid software, go away!

#145662 - 25/02/2003 11:25 Re: Rock the vote! [Re: tonyc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Incidentally, working on reading LRC's from emphatic takes away from my available time to integrate LRC-parsing and tagging in jEmplode. So while it's not an "either or" scenario, working on one delays the other.

#145663 - 25/02/2003 11:30 Re: Rock the vote! [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
takes away from my available time to integrate LRC-parsing and tagging in jEmplode.
Well, the Jemplode thing is even cooler, so I'd recommend concentrating on that first.

#145664 - 25/02/2003 16:08 Re: Rock the vote! [Re: tonyc]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people (13 as of this writing) voting for seperate .lrc file!

Seems like such a headache to have twice as many files on your empeg. Not to mention trying to match them up with the right FID. Better not delete and re-add your mp3s or the fids will change and then the lyrics need to be re-matched.

Putting them in the v2 tag is a one-time thing... no extra files, no worrying about which .lrc goes with which .mp3.

#145665 - 25/02/2003 16:11 Re: Rock the vote! [Re: tonyc]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

Maybe people think that somehow they can just download the .lrcs from the future lrcdb.com and they will somehow automagically be matched up with their mp3s.

It's probably worth pointing out that it's about the same amount of work either way because either emphatic or lrctool has to be told which .lrcs go with which .mp3s.

#145666 - 25/02/2003 16:21 Re: Rock the vote! [Re: TheAmigo]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Well obviously I agree with you, but people have their reasons for the separate files. The jury's still out but there's clearly a good percentage who want LRC support. I do think some of them are probably underestimating the amount of effort to associate the LRC's with their MP3's by filename. I can also ask mschrag build support for *that* in jEmplode (or take a stab at it myself.) We have a lot of options, and it sounds like there's almost an even split right now.

#145667 - 27/02/2003 04:12 Re: Rock the vote! [Re: TheAmigo]
kimbotha

Loc: London, UK
I think from my point of view writing a script to rename an lrc file to match the fid number and uploading it to the empeg saves me having to either download the mp3 from the empeg and then script adding the lrc data to the mp3 and then reuploading the mp3 to the empeg, or having to find the mp3 on my backup CDs and adding it to that before uploading to the empeg. Separate files means I don't have to touch any of the mp3s already on the empeg. No chance of corrupting them accidentally while the scripts run.

Cheers

Kim