Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149789 - 22/03/2003 23:38 physics problem #2
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
If two travelling objects collide, end on, if thier speeds are different, does the speed of one directly relate to the damage of the other?
That is: If two cars are travelling alone a road, one at 50Kph and the other at 100Kph does the first do '50Kph' of damage and recieve '100kph' from the other?
what are the factors involved?

#149790 - 23/03/2003 00:24 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Assuming that the two cars are the same mass (you didn't say), I'd guess that they'd each do an equally distributed total of 150kph of damage to each other. The fact that one was moving faster than the other doesn't matter. It could be 10kph + 140kph, or 0 + 150, or 75 + 75, and the damage distribution would be the same.

If they're different masses, I'm sure it gets a lot more complicated.

And by the way, I call "no SUV flamewar" for this thread right now, because I can totally see it coming.

#149791 - 23/03/2003 01:39 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, They would be the same mass, but for the calculation, it'd be done in newtons so the mass actually wouldn't matter; it'd just be part of the conversion.
Yes but what is the effect of the infliced damage on the other object? is it purely a 50/50 split? (given that both objects are the same construction.)

#149792 - 23/03/2003 02:13 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: muzza]
MinerTwoFour
journeyman

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I guess that you'd always have the M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1+M2)V3 equation for an inelastic collision if that helps any. Can't remember the inelastic stuff at the moment. Rum doesn't help much either.

#149793 - 23/03/2003 02:32 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: MinerTwoFour]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

No, the objects don't need rum to collide.

#149794 - 23/03/2003 02:46 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: muzza]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
is it purely a 50/50 split? (given that both objects are the same construction.)

Yes.

The velocities of the two objects are relative only to each other. Their velocities relative to the ground are irrelevant.

Imagine they were floating in space when they collided. Then each object's velocity would be strictly a function of the velocity of the observer. That is, if you were traveling at the same speed (and direction, of course) as one of the objects, it would appear to you to be motionless, and the other object would appear to be traveling rapidly. If, instead, you travelled at the same speed and direction as the second object, then IT would appear to be motionless and the first object would appear to be the one traveling rapidly. Yet in each of these scenarios, the only thing that was different was the velocity of the observer, which could not have any effect on the outcome of the collision itself.

tanstaafl.

#149795 - 23/03/2003 09:39 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: muzza]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Heh, another "physics problem".

what are the factors involved?

So, what's the other guy's insurance coverage like?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#149796 - 23/03/2003 19:50 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: tanstaafl.]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Law of Conservation of Momentum = M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1' + M2V2'

Since M1 = M2 and since mass of each object will remain the same on both sides of the equasion (assuming we're not talking near-speed of light speeds), we get:

V1 +V2 = V1' + V2'

Now, since V2 is say, twice V1 we get:
V1 + 2(V2) = V1' +2(V2)'

Since the two cars are completely inelastic and stick together, V1' and V2' are the same, so we can combine to get:

V1 + 2(V2) = 3V'

Therefore:
.```` V1+2(V2)
V' = -------------
.``````` 3

If we insert real numbers (V=50)we get:

`````50 + 2(-50)
V' = --------------
````````` 3

So:
-50/3 = -16.6666666666 kph is the momentum after collision. Since both cars come to a complete stop, the car travelling slower (V1) will absorb 16.666666kpm X (mass) more energy than the faster car.

#149797 - 23/03/2003 20:11 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
lectric
pooh-bah

By the way, What's with the board not displaying multiple spaces? I put like 10 in a row to space the divisions, ant the spaces just went away.

#149798 - 23/03/2003 20:42 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Now, since V2 is say, twice V1 we get:

V1 + 2(V2) = V1' +2(V2)'

Umm... don't you mean:

V_1 + (-2 * V_1) = V_1' + V_2' (V_2' is *not* twice V_1, and V_2 is in the *opposite* direction of V_1)

-1 * V_1 = V_1' + V_2'

Since the two cars are completely inelastic and stick together, V1' and V2' are the same, so we can combine to get:

V1 + 2(V2) = 3V'

Which would make this:

-1 * V_1 = 2 * V' where V' = V_1' = V_2'

or:

V' = -0.5 * V_1

So the velocity of the new object (the two cars stuck together) is half the velocity of the slower car, heading in direction of the faster car, but I don't think that has anything to do with which of the two sustains the most damage. In that, I think that tanstaafl is correct. Imagine that instead of two cars, you have two non-identical objects that otherwise fulfill the parameters of the question. Object one is a 1-ton block of jello, object two is a one ton block of granite (suppose that the surface area where they collide is identical). Obviously, the one ton block of jello is going to sustain more damage than the one ton block of granite is, no matter which of the two objects is travelling faster. Now if you have two objects that have identical properties for dispersing the forces of impact, then they will absorb an identical amount of the forces of impact, due to that whole issue of relativity.

#149799 - 23/03/2003 20:46 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

That's not a factor of the board, that's the way HTML works. If you want to use multiple spaces to align something, you have to use the <pre></pre> tags (or whatever the corresponding tags are in the BBS).

#149800 - 23/03/2003 21:54 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: canuckInOR]
lectric
pooh-bah

OK... then answer me this. How come when you take a wooden bat, hold it upright, and hit it as hard as you can with another identical bat, that the bat that is stationary always is the one to snap in half?

#149801 - 23/03/2003 21:58 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
lectric
pooh-bah

Or the way a railgun firing a piece of plastic can demolish a brick. I doubt the brick would suffer much damage if it were fired at the same speed at a small piece of plastic. It's just a matter of inertia.

#149802 - 24/03/2003 01:05 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Because the bat is being held stationary -- the only method it has of dissipating force is to break. In the car example, the slower car is not being held stationary, and has the freedom to move.

#149803 - 24/03/2003 01:51 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: canuckInOR]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
that's.... 40 : 15

canuckInLA serving for the match.....

#149804 - 24/03/2003 02:06 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Or the way a railgun firing a piece of plastic can demolish a brick.

Uh... now you're bringing size and dissimilarity of objects into the equation. Ignoring that, though, have you ever looked at the piece of plastic after it's shattered the brick? Brick -- rigid, no method of dissipating force. Plastic -- elastic, and could deform and revert to shape. Ever dug bullets out of something, and notice how they're not all nice and pointy shaped anymore (d33zy can back me up on this one, I'm sure. )? Then there's pressure to think of, too -- objects that collide with a large surface area of impact will have less damage over a greater area than two objects that collide with a tiny surface area of impact. The smaller surface area of impact is going to create much higher pressure on one of those objects. Here's an experiment you can do to demonstrate the idea I'm talking about, since I don't think I'm doing a good job explaining it... get a fork, and hold it in one hand. Swing the hand holding the fork at your other arm, striking your arm with the flat tines of the fork. Take note that it doesn't hurt that much. Now, swinging the hand with the fork at the same rate you did last time, stab your arm with the pointy ends of the tines. Take note of how much it hurt that time, while the only thing that changed was the surface area of impact. If you want to use similar materials, think of poking someone with your finger as opposed to pushing with the flat of your palm. Same hand, same arm, same momentum, different area of impact.

The answer to physics problem #2 can only hold true in a "perfect physics world". Outside that world, you have to worry about all those silly things like minute variations in angle of impact, size of impact area on each vehicle, and the like are all going to govern the amount of damage that each vehicle sustains in the collision.

The reason I chose to use the example of the jello and granite was to show that it doesn't matter which of the two objects is moving, the jello is going to sustain the damage (although, now that I think about it some, jello may be too elastic to suffer damage in the collision, and just wobble around a bit).

I doubt the brick would suffer much damage if it were fired at the same speed at a small piece of plastic. It's just a matter of inertia.

If the plastic bit was moving free, of course not. If you were to fix the plastic bit in position, it would. No matter, it's irrelevant to the question at hand -- which of two identical bodies would suffer the most damage. With identical objects, they will have identical inertia, which is proportional to an object's mass, and is unrelated to the current velocity of the object. A stationary object has the same inertia as it would if it were moving at 30mph.

FWIW, I gave up on physics after first year university (I was passing, but not enjoying it), so if I'm bungling my explanations, speak out...

#149805 - 24/03/2003 04:04 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: canuckInOR]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Ok. enough of the flailing of pointy things. ow note to self: don't carry out all practical explanations of things on this board
I'm not interested in surface area. it brings in whole realms of strange and mystic equations.
two identical objects; travel thru space with dissimilar speeds; impact on eachother at the same surface area.
does the speed of one directly translate into the damage of the other or is it all shared?

Picture this. A journey of sight and sound. there are two cubes of same size etc. from the viewpoint of one, the other is hurtling toward it at a treeemeeedooouuusss rate; and vice versa. Without any equations you could safely say that the damage should be shared equally.

#149806 - 24/03/2003 13:10 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

OK... then answer me this. How come when you take a wooden bat, hold it upright, and hit it as hard as you can with another identical bat, that the bat that is stationary always is the one to snap in half?
I think you might be making an incorrect assumption there. How often have you actually done this experiment? Are you sure that's really the result?

(Assuming the bats really are identical, which you can't do because of the nature of wood as a naturally-grown substance. And assuming that you strike them so that the both contact each other at the same "spot" on the bat and the same angle, which you can't do just by hand, you'd need some kind of a machine to do the test...)

I think that both bats would be damaged equally, and whichever one had a slightly weaker wood grain would be the one to fully snap (if at all).

#149807 - 24/03/2003 13:53 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Also, how is each bat supported? Support forces will play a dramatic role. If the non-moving bat is secured at the base there would be shear and bending forces acting on the bat that would not exist if the moving bat hit an unsupported bat in a weightless environment. Tony also brings up good points. The problem with 'pure' physics is that things get hairy quickly once little 'real world' issues like these come into play. That's why there are engineers.

That being said, if you can prove Mr. Newton incorrect, I'd say you have a very bright future.

Best,
-Zeke

#149808 - 24/03/2003 18:35 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: Ezekiel]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

That being said, if you can prove Mr. Newton incorrect, I'd say you have a very bright future.

I did that in high school. No, really! We had to do an experiment on one of Newton's Laws, and the results I got
from my experiment ended up being a counter-example to the law, thereby proving it wrong. Unlike everyone else in the class, I wrote up my results without faking the data to go along with what Newton says. My mark on that experiment was rather lower than I thought it should have been.

#149809 - 24/03/2003 19:22 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: canuckInOR]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Just think, if you'd been able to repeat your results, you might have been able to publish and move on to a life of acclaim. Alas, 98% perspiration. On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained (nor, in your case, lost).

My AP physics teacher's primary job was coaching swimming. Only one person in the class (of 15) dared take the AP exam. They got a 3. (For non-US folks - AP exam is a college level exam rated 1-5. A 4 or 5 will usually get you a credit or a placement in an advanced class freshman year. 3 means squat.)

I only passed my freshman physics class the next year by making sure that the units worked right. If the answer was in the right units, it was probably not too far off.

Least favorite expression in O'Hanian (aka O'Heinous)'Physics':
"It should be intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers that: "

I didn't find the following line's statement obvious, casual observations or no. Oh well. That's the beauty of physics: it keeps right on working regardless of whether one understands it or not.

-Zeke

#149810 - 24/03/2003 20:05 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: Ezekiel]
lectric
pooh-bah

OK.... This is really driving me nuts. So I called my high school physics teacher. He confirmed what I thought to be true. The car travelling twice as fast will do about 4 times as much damage to the slower car as it will get. The problem above is that I was applying the wrong formulae above.

The Real issue, according to him, deals with kinetic energy, not momentum. An object of mass m moving with a speed v has a kinetic energy of ½mv². So you get ½mv² and ½mv`² Assuming speeds of 50kph and 100 kph and a mass of 1 unit (since they're the same) you get KE=1250 vs KE=5000. These units are in joules per kilogram of the mass. So if it's say 1500 kg trucks you get Car 1 issuing 1,875,000 Joules of energy into the other object. Car 2 transfers 7,500,000 Joules of energy into the other car. Since both cars come to a complete stop, the kinetic energy must be transfered into the other vehicle as damage, not movement. If you'd like, I'll scan and post the pages from my physics book.

#149811 - 24/03/2003 20:06 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: Ezekiel]
lectric
pooh-bah

And I'm not trying to prove Newton wrong, just a misinterpretation of his work.

#149812 - 24/03/2003 20:37 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

The Real issue, according to him, deals with kinetic energy, not momentum.

Ah-ha! That does, indeed, sound better. Thanks for clearing that up.

#149813 - 24/03/2003 20:40 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: canuckInOR]
lectric
pooh-bah

Whew, glad to know I wasn't going crazy.

#149814 - 24/03/2003 20:49 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Since both cars come to a complete stop, the kinetic energy must be transfered into the other vehicle as damage, not movement.
Who says they both come to a complete stop at impact time? The slower car would begin moving backwards after the impact. The only way they'd come to a complete stop at impact time is if they had super-sticky tires (stickier than any formula 1 tire)...

#149815 - 24/03/2003 21:02 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: tfabris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Nothing. It was just an assumption made for the sake of simplicity. Since the crash is assumed to be inelastic, it makes the math much simpler. In the real world, the impact would NOT be completely inelastic, and in fact some of the energy would be transferred into movement, by both cars. We can't really get into impulse force dynamics without knowing the relative elasticity of the cars. So exactly how hard do we want to make this? We also need to know exactly how long it takes both cars to transfer this momentum, since Joules=kg·m²/s². We simply don't have enough information to take all this into account.

#149816 - 24/03/2003 21:27 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Heck, I'm just trying to avoid any actual thinking. I do it all day at work and have very little left over to add to solving this question. Heck, everyone here knows I like to snipe in and add very little information to otherwise erudite discussions. Kudos to you for actually trying to answer the question. I know the answer (at least for cars) is that anything over 20 mph is likely to result in the insurance company declaring both cars totaled, so it wouldn't really matter which sustained more damage. Besides, who has time to whack bats against eachother to see which breaks first? Those things aren't cheap! Maybe aluminum bats...

My question, is if two equally massed Volvos hit each other, does the one with the baby on board have right of way?

-Zeke

#149817 - 24/03/2003 21:42 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: Ezekiel]
lectric
pooh-bah

I only wish. I was doing 45 through a green light when some old man decided to turn left through the light without actually checking to see if someone was *gasp* going straight. He was doing at least 30-35. Head on collision unavoidable. When I bought that particular Cherokee (used) I paid 14,000. They estimated about 7000 of damage to the car. By the time they had finished "fixing" my car, they had spent closer to 15000. Plus rented me a car for 3 months while mine was in for repair. Then the damn thing never did run quite right again. Not to mention all the little things that I couldn't "prove" were caused by the wreck, such as the rear door hydraulic arm bolt shearing off inside the door frame. Oh well... I finally just sold it for $1000 two years later and bought a mustang. The 80-something year old man's car was totally gone. He's lucky to be alive, especially considering I had to keep my g/f from throttling him. Insurance companies suck.

#149818 - 25/03/2003 01:07 Re: physics problem #2 [Re: lectric]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Thanks lectric. I guess we have a winner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >