Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15697 - 27/08/2000 12:59 IDE Cable Off Again
Fogduck

Loc: BC
Ack. The IDE cable has come off my MK2 again...the mode in which it originally arrived. :(

I haven't even subjected it to the environment of my vehicle yet (trusted installer is back next week), just my briefcase and desktop.

I didn't tape or glue or anything when I was instructed by empeg that I could open the unit and re-seat the cable the first time around, but this time, I used a loop of duct-tape (p.s.: not "duck") to affix the free/unused end of the cable to the empty flat of the drive tray.

If people aren't experiencing this when their unit arrived, they will soon shortly after driving around with it.

I guess another reliable fix would be to fasten the free end of the cable to another drive. Too bad it'd have to go back to Cambridge for that.

[wild speculation]

Its a 12GB Toshiba drive in mine, is there any chance that the pins are slightly smaller than spec, causing the IDE connector to seat less tightly?

[/wild speculation]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
MK2 #141, green, 12GB
- - - MK2 #141 12GB Queue #5723 (SOLD) MK2a 30GB + grn + tuner + blk empeg case

#15698 - 27/08/2000 17:23 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: Fogduck]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
duct-tape (p.s.: not "duck")

Thank you. So many people say "duck", and it irritates me every time.

Of course, there is now an enterprising company which markets duct tape under the brand name "duck", so I guess it's not technically incorrect any more. It's like saying "scotch tape" when that's a specific brand but you really mean any brand of clear cellophane tape. Or when you say "make me a xerox" when you really couldn't care less which brand of photocopier is used for the process. Or when you order a coke and the waitress says, "is Pepsi OK?"

The last one really boils me. I understand that the waitress has to say it because sometimes you get customers who do really have a preference, but it just irritates me that those customers have to make the ordering process harder for the rest of us.

And the worst part: Sometimes I've tried to get around that problem by ordering a COLA. And the waitresses still ask me if their specific brand is OK. You know, maybe I should start drinking iced tea...

Ah, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Back to the regularly-scheduled programming...

Sorry to hear about the cable coming loose. I'm sure Rob will see the report here. That is so strange, it really shouldn't do that.

#15699 - 27/08/2000 17:34 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Maybe you should cut back on the caffeine all together :-)

How about a nice soothing glass of water? Is Evian OK ;-)

-Mike

#15700 - 27/08/2000 19:29 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: mcomb]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Anybody want to buy a duct?
A what?...

(I promise not to start MR DUCT...)

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#15701 - 27/08/2000 20:33 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: mcomb]
xavyer

Sheesh! Really Tony, cut back on the caffeine! :)

#15702 - 27/08/2000 21:37 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
Fogduck

Well, for me there is no OTHER stationery tape than 3M Scotch Tape. Ask for it by name. Next time you get a brand new roll, take a DEEP whiff of the sticky-side of the tape. Nothing smells better than a new roll of Scotch Tape. Its like new-car, or new-eletronics, or SOMETHING like that. I don't know if it has any pharmacological effects, but it smells GREAT.

Ever get the thrifty urge to buy the bargain pack of no-name tape when you're picking up the wrapping paper for, say, Christmas? I have a theory about the heightened incidence of abuse, alcoholism, depression, suicide, etc. during the Holidays: at least 1% of THAT statistic is someone who went INSANE trying to use the stuff.

As for specifying a "cola", so many of the restaurant help aren't even familiar with that term as classifying that whole beverage family that you have to specify it twice.

Next worst, is people referring to "fascia" (fay-sha or fash-ya) as facial (fay-shal). I just grin evilly, but inwardly.

And most people will look at you like you're from the moon if you ask for a "facial tissue" instead of a "Kleenex".

Javex...same thing.

Tums...same thing. "Antacid? What the heck is that, boy? In this country, you speak American, boy!"

Saran Wrap, you get the idea. Cellophane wrap? "Huh, whud 'ee say, Cletis?"

- - -

So, my IDE cable is still on, thanks to Duct Tape (TM) -- but its only been a day.

All registered trademarks in this message are the property of their respective holders

MK2 #141, green, 12GB

#15703 - 27/08/2000 21:52 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: Fogduck]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, for me there is no OTHER stationery tape than 3M Scotch Tape. Ask for it by name.

Hmm. Methinks Fogduck works for the 3M corporation.

Oh, and kudos for using the correct version of "stationery". Seeing as how this off-topic thread started on that foot...

I don't know if it has any pharmacological effects, but it smells GREAT.

Anyone remember the scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where the teacher hands out a fresh set of dittoed tests? When he turns around, the entire class is inhaling the fumes off of their quiz papers. This was an exact duplication of my high school classes, not an exaggeration.

(For those born after 1980, a ditto machine was the way schools copied their tests before the photocopier was widely available. It was a chemical process that resulted in papers that, when fresh off the machine, were slightly moist and had a smell reminiscent of nail polish remover. I'm convinced that you could get high if you inhaled enough of the stuff.)

#15704 - 28/08/2000 12:34 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: Fogduck]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Well, for me there is no OTHER stationery tape than 3M Scotch Tape. Ask for it by name. Next time you get a brand new roll, take a DEEP whiff of the sticky-side of the tape. Nothing smells better than a new roll of Scotch Tape. Its like new-car, or new-eletronics, or SOMETHING like that. I don't know if it has any pharmacological effects, but it smells GREAT.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Calvin

#15705 - 28/08/2000 12:54 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I'm convinced that you could get high if you inhaled enough of the stuff.

Oh man... I remember those days. The crazy carbon transfer, some required hand-cranking. The rumor passed around my school was they were fazed out due to cancer concerns from the chemicals involved.

I still prefer the subtle comfort of a warm photocopy...

#15706 - 28/08/2000 15:30 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
Fogduck

Methinks Fogduck works for the 3M corporation

Well, if this line of 3M car-care products makes me happy, I'll be playing Tony to 3M's empeg.

kudos for using the correct version of "stationery"

...maybe its a Canadian thing. We's perty careful with the King's English.

"I'm Canadian. Basically, I'm just an American without a gun..."

the teacher hands out a fresh set of dittoed tests?

YES!

Maybe we're a little behind the times, but I remember getting still-wet ditto'ed test papers as late as high-school (mid 80s) -- they had that blurry blue/purple hue to them. You only had about 10 seconds before the good stuff evapourated, and you were unlucky if you got the dry top-copy (thats the REAL reason why cool people sat at the back)

MK2 #141, green, 12GB

#15707 - 29/08/2000 03:24 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Or when you order a coke and the waitress says, "is Pepsi OK?"

The last one really boils me. I understand that the waitress has to say it because sometimes you get customers who do really have a preference, but it just irritates me that those customers have to make the ordering process harder for the rest of us.

It's not a customer preference thing. It's a trademark dilution thing. Essentially, if you ask for a Coke, and the restaurant gives you Pepsi, Coke are going to get annoyed. They've invested a fortune in that name, and having it used to describe other, similar, products negates this expenditure on brand-awareness. Pepsi will probably get annoyed as well. I'm sure they've got an inferiority complex about being the "other cola" anyway.

On top of that, if a company doesn't defend their trademarks, they stand the chance of losing them completely. I think it was Hoover, but I could be wrong, that sued someone for using the name, and failed to get any recompense because they'd not been sufficiently conscientious about protecting their trademark.

Which is why a lot of stuff has TM all over it these days.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#15708 - 29/08/2000 06:35 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
rmitz

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
If I say I want a Coke, I want a Coke. Can't stand Pepsi. So I have to disagree with you there. But really, cola should be good enough, however, waitresses aren't really known for thinking...it's not really part of their job description.

Fly me to the moon...

#15709 - 29/08/2000 06:45 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Or when you order a coke and the waitress says, "is Pepsi OK?"

Well, where I come from (South Carolina.. About an hour from Atlanta - the home of Coca Cola), everything is Coke. If you order a Coke, you could be meaning Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, etc. It's all in the inflection you give it, or something. I never could quite figure it out and I lived there for 14 years.

Most people who drink Pepsi can drink Coke. Most people who drink Coke abhor Pepsi (at least from what I noticed). So IMHO its a good thing they ask because if they serve me a Pepsi when I ask for Coke, I'd be pissed. That, and I hate, hate, HATE that devil-child of a spokesperson that Pepsi has. I swear, she is the devil. She has no eyebrows! Can you say "enjoy your 30 seconds of fame?"

Ya'll come back now, ya'hea?

(O|||||O)

#15710 - 29/08/2000 07:44 Trade Mark (was IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: Roger]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
It's a trademark dilution thing.

Bad Dream: You ask for an empeg and the installer person says "Is Sony OK"

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#15711 - 29/08/2000 08:57 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: rmitz]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Reminds me of the Bill Hicks 'Waffle Waitress' sketch... "Hey mister, what'cha readin' for?"

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#15712 - 29/08/2000 12:13 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: ClemsonJeep]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Southerners are strange.

Calvin

#15713 - 29/08/2000 22:08 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: tfabris]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
You know, maybe I should start drinking iced tea...

When I first came to the US (after living in the UK for 3 years) I had quite a problem with the concept of iced tea... I'd order tea and be given something that looks like a bottle of fruit juice and comes out of the freezer. What the fsck?! I eventually figured out that I'm supposed to say "hot tea" but that wasn't working too well either because I was apparently getting the accent horribly wrong and people kept hearing "cold tea". Go figure. These days I just drink hot chocolate when I want hot stuff.

Borislav

#15714 - 30/08/2000 00:02 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: Roger]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
I hate when they bring me Papsi when I order Coke. They are both vile concotions unsuitable for human use, but they are different vile concotions unsuitable for human use!

Typical scene when yours truly orders a cup of coffe with whipped cream:

YT: A cup of coffe with whipped cream and a large glass of iced plain water, please. The whipped cream is real, isn't it?
Waiter unperturbed so far: Of course!
YT: You sure? How do you make it? You do make it, don't you?
Waiter frowns, then britens: Ah, you mean is it from one of those spay cans? No, sir, we whip it ourselves! Tries to depart
YT: Just a moment. What cream do you use?
Waiter totally confused by now: Well, you know, one of those... waves his hands, describing cream container in the air; this is the crucial point: I like whipped cream made from fresh, just pasteurized cream, as it preserves smell and slightly sour taste of fresh cream; it is sold only in 0.2l containters; sterilized, sweetened and/or vanilla flavoured cream is sold in 1l containers; the waiter's hands describe a larger one...
YT: Machiato, then!

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#15715 - 30/08/2000 02:15 Re: IDE Cable Off Again [Re: Fogduck]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We've addressed this problem on later units with a thin line of hot-melt glue (ie, removable) on each HDD connector and a sticky pad to hold the free end of the cable down on single drive systems - it shouldn't happen anymore.

Hugo

#15716 - 30/08/2000 11:06 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: bonzi]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Coffee snob!

Calvin :p

#15717 - 30/08/2000 12:01 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: eternalsun]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Coffee snob!

Ah, no, no, whipped cream snob! Not only in coffee, but, say, on a rich chocolate cake (not Sacher, it is too dry), or with fruit salad, or...

Well, perhaps just a bit of coffee snob, too. Besides, it is call good taste (as seen by choice of ICE equipment) ... Let's see: good espresso in all variations (latte - we call in machiato, capuccino, straight), Turkish (or Greek if one orders it in Greece or Cyprus), instant has to be Nestle (stange, nobody's else remotely resembles coffee - Maxwell, Jacobs, you name it) - preferably some of their Colombian mixtures, then those Austrian weak but creamy capuccino-like concotions are also good (classical melange, Schoenbrun - it's with egg...). I do, however, stear clear of filter coffee...

When one orders large (we call it double) coffee in Zagreb, it consists of two teaspoonfulls of medium finely ground coffee, made into perhaps half a teacup of brew by pressurized (to raise the boiling point) water from esspresso machine. When I ordered the same in (otherwise fine) supposedly Italian fast food in New York (excellent cheesecake), I got almost a liter of hot water with probably less that tesponfull of coffee in it. But then, 'when in Rome...'

I will leave cream (sour, whipped and that used for cooking) for another occassion.

(In the case you wondered, I do weight more than 250lb )

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#15718 - 30/08/2000 20:34 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: bonzi]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
(In the case you wondered, I do weight more than 250lb )

Let's see, at about $1.60 USD to the English pound, does that mean you're worth over $400?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#15719 - 31/08/2000 00:29 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: tanstaafl.]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Let's see, at about $1.60 USD to the English pound, does that mean you're worth over $400?

It depends on the current price of lard on global market. ('Hard boiled eggs and carrot sticks?! But, honey, these are all muscles!')

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia

#15720 - 31/08/2000 14:18 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: bonzi]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

But hey, I correctly identified a raving coffee snob. So nyah, credit where its due.

espresso over here in the states take on a great many varieties as well, including all the ones you mentioned. I've seen romano, americano, mochas..

On the coffee end, there are frappes, au laits...

I'm not much in favor of whipped cream. I prefer my coffee black and unadulterated. None of that wussy weakling stuff, take it straight back...

Calvin

#15721 - 31/08/2000 23:47 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: eternalsun]
bonzi
pooh-bah

I'm not much in favor of whipped cream. I prefer my coffee black and unadulterated. None of that wussy weakling stuff, take it straight back...

Macho coffee, so to say !

I forgot to say that I usually add some chocolate flakes or powder to my coffee (even if it is not capuccino). My friends often watch in horror and ask whether I was going to break a slice of bread into it as well.

Cheers!

(BTW, this spelling is killing me. I will soon have to spell check my signature, too. )

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia

#15722 - 01/09/2000 03:16 Re: Cola (Was:IDE Cable Off Again) [Re: bonzi]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I forgot to say that I usually add some chocolate flakes or powder to my coffee (even if it is not capuccino). My friends often watch in horror and ask whether I was going to break a slice of bread into it as well.

There used to be a poncey coffee shop in Sheffield called The Forum where you could get cappuccino with cinnamon on instead of chocolate. That was very nice.

Peter